[Humanist] 24.804 GIS projects

Humanist Discussion Group willard.mccarty at mccarty.org.uk
Mon Mar 21 07:50:15 CET 2011

                Submit to: humanist at lists.digitalhumanities.org

        Date: Sun, 20 Mar 2011 20:51:58 +0000
        From: John Levin <john at anterotesis.com>
        Subject: Re: [Humanist] 24.788 GIS projects

Thanks to all who responded to my query, onlist and off.

I have compiled a list of DH (meaning academic in this context) GIS
(meaning anything with maps) projects at:
http://anterotesis.com/wordpress/?page_id=349
(far from complete - I will be adding to it when I can)
and blogged about my reasons here:
http://anterotesis.com/wordpress/?p=354

Leif Isaksen is quite right to point out the differences between GIS and
Neogeography; I'm guilty of sloppy terminology, and was using GIS as a
catch-all category. I'm personally more interested in webmapping than
desktop applications, due to the possibilities of sharing data,
techniques and results through the internet. The fundamental necessity
of place to archaeology is also a very important point; that isn't the
situation with history or literary analysis (my areas of interest),
regardless of the potential of spatial investigation for those disciplines.

Hestia is a very fine project, and one that shows the importance of
crossing the disciplines - there's very few projects that map a single
text, or read a text through a map; many literary cartographies use
metadata rather than the contents.

I'm looking forward to the new Spatial Humanities site, and hope it can
use my compilation for its own list of projects (which will also absolve
me of the duty of keeping it updated!).

John

--
John Levin