[Humanist] 24.803 our basic furniture

Humanist Discussion Group willard.mccarty at mccarty.org.uk
Mon Mar 21 07:49:43 CET 2011

                Submit to: humanist at lists.digitalhumanities.org

  [1]   From:    "Postles, David A. (Dr.)" <pot at leicester.ac.uk>            (3)
        Subject: RE: [Humanist] 24.802 our basic furniture

  [2]   From:    Willard McCarty <willard.mccarty at mccarty.org.uk>          (40)
        Subject: my furniture

        Date: Sun, 20 Mar 2011 14:40:00 +0000
        From: "Postles, David A. (Dr.)" <pot at leicester.ac.uk>

Parameters, then: concordance analysis:

http://dsl.org/cookbook/cookbook_16.html

I couldn't perform my work without this cli (command-line itnerface).

        Date: Mon, 21 Mar 2011 06:45:11 +0000
        From: Willard McCarty <willard.mccarty at mccarty.org.uk>

When I asked the question about basic functions of software I was in
part wondering what the question should be. This question began with the
problem of figuring out what a person who shifted operating systems
would need to look for in the new one -- in a few cases, say, the Mac
version of X, but in many, what the best software would be for doing Y.
Thinking further about the matter, it's the functions that matter. But
of course new systems (hardware and/or software) sometimes modify or
create functions.

The Day of Digital Humanities comes to the question from another angle
but with some of the same results. It asks, what do you do all day?

For me the interesting answer arising out of my own attempt to make a
list (with which I will not bore you) concerns note-taking. This
function seems unsatisfied by any one application or set of
applications, and it is occasionally upset and reconfigured by the
introduction of new hardware, such as the iPad and its kind. I would
hazard a guess that not only do we not yet have it right (though John
Bradley's Pliny is a very fine piece of work) but also that by nature
(at least my nature) this function changes form depending on the project
-- its size, kind, phase, subject, materials. My guess is that we
haven't even begun to understand what is involved here, that note-taking
is so close to the processes of reading, encoding in memory,
assimilating, remembering, reasoning and composing that our processes of
design don't come anywhere close to being right for the job. Clearly, as
the iPad has shown me, sitting at a computer, at a desk, is fatal to
some kinds of note-taking. Even laptops are too demanding of special
circumstances to work for all. Even iPads. Sometimes the only thing that
will do is a piece of paper tucked into a book. Yes, paper and book.
(Let's not be technologically dogmatic!)

So, a fascinating set of problems, no doubt requiring several
disciplinary points of view, including the cognitive sciences.

Comments?

King's College London, www.mccarty.org.uk;