[Humanist] 24.791 Digging into Data Challenge 2011

Humanist Discussion Group willard.mccarty at mccarty.org.uk
Thu Mar 17 08:44:59 CET 2011

                Submit to: humanist at lists.digitalhumanities.org

        Date: Wed, 16 Mar 2011 14:19:11 -0400
        From: "Serventi, Jennifer" <JServenti at neh.gov>
        Subject: 2011 Digging into Data Challenge

Eight international research funders jointly announce their
participation in round two of the Digging into Data Challenge, a grant
competition designed to spur cutting edge research in the humanities and
social sciences.

The Digging into Data Challenge asks researchers these provocative
questions:  How can we use advanced computation to change the nature of
our research methods? That is, now that the objects of study for
researchers in the humanities and social sciences, including books,
survey data, economic data, newspapers, music, and other scholarly and
scientific resources are being digitized at a huge scale, how does this
change the very nature of our research? How might advanced computation
and data analysis techniques help researchers use these materials to ask
new questions about and gain new insights into our world?

Due to the overwhelming popularity of round one, the Digging into Data
Challenge is pleased to announce that four additional funders have
joined for round two, enabling this competition to have a world-wide
reach into many different scholarly and scientific domains.  The eight
sponsoring funding bodies include the Arts & Humanities Research Council
(United Kingdom), the Economic & Social Research Council (United
Kingdom), the Institute of Museum and Library Services (United States),
the Joint Information Systems Committee (United Kingdom), the National
Endowment for the Humanities (United States), the National Science
Foundation (United States), the Netherlands Organisation for Scientific
Research (Netherlands), and the Social Sciences and Humanities Research
Council (Canada).

Final applications will be due June 16, 2011.  Further information about
the competition and the application process can be found at
www.diggingintodata.org.

Jennifer Serventi, Office of Digital Humanities
National Endowment for the Humanities
http://www.neh.gov/odh
Twitter: @NEH_ODH