[Humanist] 24.777 on "The Googlization of Everything"

Humanist Discussion Group willard.mccarty at mccarty.org.uk
Sun Mar 13 08:13:47 CET 2011

                Submit to: humanist at lists.digitalhumanities.org

        Date: Thu, 10 Mar 2011 22:35:30 +0000
        From: Peter Batke <batke_p at hotmail.com>
        Subject: Review of "The Googlization of Everything"

I invite everyone to look at my take of the "The Googlization of Everything"
by Siva Vaidhyanathan. I should warn the admirers that I did not the like
the book. Yet if someone should be interested in a counter to the media
darling's quest for the "50 year grand global project ... funded by concerned
governments" follow this link:

http://www.humancomp.org/batke/

I have tried to take care of my language and formatting. I would
have spent more time on the task had I not been trying to parse a
Willard sentence since yesterday:

[For more recent thoughts on the subject from Peter see Humanist
24.775, sent out earlier this morning. ---WM]

> Although what needs bleeding out in our case is not sentimentality, and
> what our lot needs freedom from is different that of those whom Hoggart
> had and Hanley has in mind, these words apply with force to one of
> Humanist's founding missions, perhaps its central one.

Can we have a clue, please? Will a strategically place "than that" save the day?
I don't want to be annoying but the implication could be that the "central one"
could possibly refer to formatting announcements with care. I shall return to
parsing Bacon in the original English; there the ambiguity is incomparable.

Perhaps I have missed a post or two.

cheers, Peter