[Humanist] 24.669 events: Digital Classicist summer seminars

Humanist Discussion Group willard.mccarty at mccarty.org.uk
Tue Jan 25 07:13:49 CET 2011

                Submit to: humanist at lists.digitalhumanities.org

        Date: Tue, 25 Jan 2011 05:58:11 +0000
        From: Timothy Hill <timothy.d.hill at gmail.com>
        Subject: Digital Classicist

Digital Classicist's annual Summer Seminars are coming up. Please find
the Call For Papers below:

=====
Digital Classicist Seminars (London, 2011)

(Apologies for cross-posting. Please circulate widely--we welcome
proposals from students as well as established researchers.)

Call for Presentations

The Digital Classicist will once more be running a series of seminars in
Summer 2011, on the subject of research into the ancient world that has
an innovative digital component. Themes could include, but are by no
means limited to, visualization, information and data linking, digital
textual and linguistic studies, and geographic information and network
analysis; so long as the content is likely to be of interest both to
classicists/ancient historians/archaeologists and information
scientists/digital humanists, and would be considered serious research
in at least one of those fields.

The seminars run on Friday afternoons (16:30 - 19:00) from June to
mid-August in Senate House, London, and are hosted by the Institute of
Classical Studies (University of London). In previous years collected
papers from the DC WiP seminars have been published in an online special
issue of Digital Medievalist, a printed volume from Ashgate Press, a
BICS supplement (in production), and the last three years have been
released as audio podcasts. We have had expressions of interest in
further print volumes from more than one publisher.

We have a budget to assist with travel to London (usually from within
the UK, but we have occasionally been able to assist international
presenters to attend, so please enquire).

Please send a 300-500 word abstract to gabriel.bodard at kcl.ac.uk by April
15th, 2011. We shall announce the full program at the end of April.

http://www.digitalclassicist.org/wip/index.html

(Coörganised by Will Wootton, Charlotte Tupman, Matteo Romanello, Simon
Mahony, Timothy Hill, Alejandro Giacometti, Juan Garcés, Stuart Dunn &
Gabriel Bodard.)