[Humanist] 24.656 update: Debates in the Digital Humanities

Humanist Discussion Group willard.mccarty at mccarty.org.uk
Thu Jan 20 08:31:29 CET 2011

                Submit to: humanist at lists.digitalhumanities.org

        Date: Tue, 18 Jan 2011 16:57:39 -0500
        From: "Matthew K. Gold" <mattgold at gmail.com>
        Subject: Debates in the Digital Humanities - Update

Dear Colleagues,

With the January 20 deadline for abstracts only a few days away, I'm writing
with a few updates on the Debates in the Digital Humanities Collection.

The volume has been gaining a great deal of momentum, with an impressive
roster of DH scholars and pioneers (dare I say "stars," given post-#MLA11
discussions?) signing on as contributors. Though I'm particularly happy that
the collection will include work from academics with long and distinguished
relationships to the field, I'm also I'm excited that the collection will
include essays from a range of DHers: senior scholars, mid-career academics,
junior faculty, #alt-ac'ers, and advanced graduate students. I will release
the full slate of contributors and the table of contents in February after I
have sorted through the abstracts, but you can rest assured that any
contribution you make to the collection will find itself in very good
company.

I had a chance to meet with my editorial collaborators at the University of
Minnesota Press at the MLA Convention. We're all excited about the volume,
and the Press remains committed both to making it open access and to getting
it into print by next January, in time for MLA 2012.

A few things came up during that meeting that I'd like to pass on to you:

* Because of the overwhelmingly positive response to my initial call for
contributions, it may not be possible to include all submitted essays in the
printed edition of the book. All accepted essays, however, will appear in
the online, open-access version of the text. In order to ensure that your
essay will receive full consideration for the print edition, please submit
your work by the deadlines laid out in my initial email.

* In order to include as many essays as possible in the print edition, we
would like to encourage shorter essays for the collection than we had
initially proposed. To that end, we will consider essays between 3750-9000
words (~15-35pp) as opposed to the 5k-10k words (~20-40pp) suggested in my
first call.

* The Press and I would like to engage in two levels of peer review for this
volume. After initial essay drafts are delivered in mid-March, I will ask
all contributors to complete a double-blind review of one or two other
essays in the book. After contributors revise their essays and send them
back to me in May, I will deliver the full manuscript to the Press, which
will then engage outside readers for the entire volume.

Thanks to everyone who has already sent in an abstract and CV. I'm very much
looking forward to receiving more exciting work in the coming days.

If you have any questions or concerns, please do not hesitate to contact me.

Best,

Matt
Matthew K. Gold, Ph.D.
Project Director, CUNY Academic Commons (http://commons.gc.cuny.edu)
Assistant Professor of English, New York City College of Technology, CUNY
Interactive Technology & Pedagogy Certificate Program, CUNY Graduate Center
300 Jay Street, Brooklyn, New York 11201
mattgold at gmail.com
http://mkgold.net