[Humanist] 24.649 using WordPress

Humanist Discussion Group willard.mccarty at mccarty.org.uk
Sat Jan 15 09:54:20 CET 2011

                Submit to: humanist at lists.digitalhumanities.org

  [1]   From:    "Schlitz, Stephanie" <sschlitz at bloomu.edu>                 (6)
        Subject: RE: [Humanist] 24.646 using WordPress

  [2]   From:    "Kirsten C. Uszkalo" <circe at ufies.org>                    (13)

        Date: Fri, 14 Jan 2011 08:57:16 -0500
        From: "Schlitz, Stephanie" <sschlitz at bloomu.edu>

Dear John,

I used WordPress last semester for an introductory undergraduate DH course; the course site was password protected for most of the semester, but by the end of the term the students agreed to open it: http://stephanieschlitz.com/dh/

You may be interested to learn that my students were inspired by work being disseminated on 4Humanities (http://humanistica.ualberta.ca/) and by the 4Humanities Student Voices section in particular, and they submitted their own collaborative post to the site, which you can find here: http://humanistica.ualberta.ca/for-the-public/student-voices/undergraduates-write-manifesto-on-digital-humanities/

Though there are several critical details of the course environment and course design that I would change (e.g. agreeing to a restricted tag vocabulary and asking students to tag their posts accordingly is something I would do next time), I nonetheless found WordPress a worthwhile instructional medium.

Best wishes for a successful venture -

stephanie