[Humanist] 24.647 on interdisciplinary work

Humanist Discussion Group willard.mccarty at mccarty.org.uk
Fri Jan 14 11:02:24 CET 2011

                Submit to: humanist at lists.digitalhumanities.org

        Date: Fri, 14 Jan 2011 09:52:01 +0000
        From: Willard McCarty <willard.mccarty at mccarty.org.uk>
        Subject: interdisciplinary work

Many here will (or should :-) be interested in two very recent reports
on work across disciplines:

Myra H. Strober, "Communicating across the academic divide", Chronicle
of Higher Education, 14 January,
http://chronicle.com/article/Communicating-Across-the/125769/;

European Science Foundation, "Mapping interfaces: The future of
knowledge",
http://www.esf.org/research-areas/humanities/strategic-activities/the-future-of-knowledge.html.

The former accords with all that I have observed and seems good evidence
for the approach I've taken with "Exploring disciplines",
http://www.kcl.ac.uk/graduate/school/training/exploringdisciplines.html.
The second seems to me quite disappointing, but in the way that most of
the writings on "interdisciplinarity" (note the flight into abstraction)
are. Your mileage may differ, as we say, but if so, I'd suggest a
comparison of vehicles would yield valuable results.

Comments?