[Humanist] 24.629 on digital reading

Humanist Discussion Group willard.mccarty at mccarty.org.uk
Mon Jan 3 08:36:04 CET 2011

                Submit to: humanist at lists.digitalhumanities.org

  [1]   From:    James Rovira <jamesrovira at gmail.com>                      (50)
        Subject: Re: [Humanist] 24.627 on digital reading

  [2]   From:    Jascha Kessler <urim1 at verizon.net>                       (234)

        Date: Sun, 2 Jan 2011 11:04:57 -0500
        From: James Rovira <jamesrovira at gmail.com>

The existence of Tristram Shandy suggests that computational models for
novel analysis based on 18thC novels would probably still work well for
Joyce's Ulysses.

But, more importantly, just what exactly is supposed to be new about this
kind of analysis?  Textual scholars have been counting word frequency in
texts for quite some time, long before the advent of computers, starting
with the analysis of Biblical texts.  Biblical scholarship, in fact, tends
to be well ahead of literary scholarship in the use of quantitative
analysis.  You might want to check out the tclist on yahoogroups for
discussions of computer models/algorithms in textual analysis.  Some of it
is quite fascinating.

Anyway, I would ask you to briefly and clearly describe what new kind of
knowledge is possible here.  What I think that we can do is process the same
kind of information more quickly, but not generate new kinds of information,
unless we develop new informational models independently of computer
analysis.

Don't misunderstand me, though -- I'm all for processing this information
more quickly.  That by itself is a significant advancement that can allow us
to more quickly move forward in our development of concepts.

The real questions, I think, revolve around the validity and interpretation
of the data.  Quantitative analysis of Biblical texts -- especially the OT
-- are handling languages with smaller vocabularies, a smaller corpus, and
shorter active histories as living languages.  Many words in English can
have a history of active use in print over 1000 years old across hundreds of
thousands of texts, if not millions if you count personal correspondence and
the internet.  How does a word count take into account these varying
contexts and their resultant nuances of meaning, and sometimes completely
differing meanings?  We'd need to use markup to associate individual
instances of a word with different nuances of meaning, but then the data has
already been pre-interpreted in a sense.  What happens if a different reader
sees different nuances of meaning in the same text?  We could associate
short word clusters with different connotations of a word, but we still
would not be able to take into account the context of the entire written
work, much less relevant literary and historical contexts.

A computer that could do that would be... the human brain.  We're not there
yet.

Jim R

The greatest temptation of all, however, is I think to attempt to shut