[Humanist] 25.578 techno-utopias, dystopias and analyses

Humanist Discussion Group willard.mccarty at mccarty.org.uk
Fri Dec 30 10:11:34 CET 2011

                Submit to: humanist at lists.digitalhumanities.org

  [1]   From:    amsler at cs.utexas.edu                                      (85)
        Subject: Re: [Humanist] 25.577 techno-utopias, dystopias and analyses

  [2]   From:    Jascha Kessler <urim.urim at gmail.com>                      (32)
        Subject: Fear of the Computer[s]

        Date: Thu, 29 Dec 2011 09:40:18 -0600
        From: amsler at cs.utexas.edu

I wonder whether the Internet or more particularly, the World Wide
Web, by which I mean the knowledge stored and accessed using the
Internet, is the fulfillment of some basic instinct comparable to
those that led to the creation of language and the recording of
knowledge in text itself. Once words and then language had been
invented, the idea of written language must have been a major
breakthrough, allowing ideas to be preserved and read back as if from
the voices of their originators. Then the invention of forms of
written text evolved into the numerous varieties we see today.

The Web appears to be the latest evolutionary step in that
progression, with a mechanism for recording content in 'web pages'
collected into 'web sites'; and with an overall indexing strategy yet
evolving--somewhat comparable to the creation of the mechanisms of
titles, tables of contents, indexes, etc. created to handle access to
the growth of written text.

What presumably is most frightening about the World Wide Web is that
it shows signs of automation that printed text did not. The Web is
harvested by 'web crawlers' that automatically collect and index web
sites for other people to then retrieve. A development that seems
almost like there is a robotic army that sneaks about reading
everything and keeping a record of it while we're sleeping. The very
idea that text and the content that it contains now flows without our
intervention, without the eleborate methods of print distribution that
were created to handle the movement of paper-based text, is startling
if not outright frightening.

It also is intimidating to the professionals who made their living
operating the paper-based system. Everyone from the manufacturers of
the implements for recording language through those whose professions
involved assembling and proofing it, manufacturing its print products
en masse, marketing those products, distributing them, receiving them
and storing them in places such as bookstores and libraries, recycling
those products through used bookstores. All these professions are
threatened by the web.

Even those who made their living reading and reviewing print text are
threatened, since distribution of web pages and web sites doesn't
require human intervention--everyone can read the web without
reviewers. That does seem odd, i.e., that we haven't taken up the
challenge to 'review' web sites as actively as we reviewed print
publications.

Perhaps it is because the text itself is no longer fixed into units
with permanence that can be bounded. Whereas publications involved
'editions', the web doesn't have 'editions' of web pages or web sites.
They can and do change their content continuously. This is threatening
as well. For if we cannot depend upon the text to be permanent, how
can we add value to its statements, produce the important
summarization and analyses of its significance. It's like trying to
review the beauty of cloud-filled skies or sunsets. They are not only
each seen from a different perspectve, but are ever changing such that
the subsequent potential viewers cannot precisely see the same thing
the reviewer described. That's potentially dangerous as well. The web
has responded with an effort at 'permanent' links; but how much
permanance can there be when the method of preserving permanent
references is itself dependent upon the same technology that creates
total impermanence.

So, apart from the threat from computers and software, the agents of
these changes, whose capacity to reorganize and rewrite the knowledge
itself we're still discovering; we're now threatened by the changes to
all of stored world knowledge that could come about. How will we
authenticate it in the future such that we know it's the same text our
colleagues and ancestors read? You say this eBook is the text of a
20th century work that is no longer available in print and all of
whose copies are now stored in the 'cloud'.

Oh, there can be new glorious new work done by scholars everywhere at
anytime. Never have so many been able to access so much with so little
effort. But it just seems to depend on such a lot of intangible and
ephemeral resources. We seem to be discarding the proven survivability
of mass produced and widely dispersed recorded knowledge for the
admitted impermanence of electronic and optical recordings requiring
special hardware to access. Take away the electricity and the
knowledge becomes inaccessible. Surge the electricity and the stored
knowledge itself and the hardware to access it could be destroyed.

What's threatening about that?

So, there you have it... The need to change every job that has to do
with creating, distributng, retrieving and reviewing knowledge and the
threat of the complete loss of world knowledge due to technical
glitches or its selective revision at the hands of powerful groups.

What I find somewhat amusing here is that the perceived threat from
'computers' themselves doesn't seem as potentially dangerous, apart
from them being the agents of change. I.e., hardware and software may
well be our best allies in the effort to combat the threats. It
reminds me of something I heard about the insects of the world as a
threat to humans. If it wasn't for insects acting as predators on
other insects, we'd never survive. So, computers are just the agents
of change---whether change is safe of not is up to how we use
computers to combat the changes brought about by computers.