[Humanist] 25.577 techno-utopias, dystopias and analyses

Humanist Discussion Group willard.mccarty at mccarty.org.uk
Thu Dec 29 13:06:49 CET 2011

                Submit to: humanist at lists.digitalhumanities.org

        Date: Thu, 29 Dec 2011 11:55:17 +0000
        From: Willard McCarty <willard.mccarty at mccarty.org.uk>
        Subject: techno-utopias, dystopias and analyses

Bruce Arnold's "Caslon Analytics" (www.caslon.com.au/), on "the
intersection of law, digital technology, business and society", provides
many points of interest for members of this seminar. My particular point
of entry was to his breathless discussion of digital dystopias
(www.caslon.com.au/digitalguide3.htm), such as the collapse of the
Internet predicted for 2006 in 2004 in Hannu H Kari's "Internet is
deteriorating and close to collapse -- What can we do to survive?". As
it happens several broken links to intriguing items are not a problem,
since Google is sufficient to find them, e.g. Andrew Odlyzko's "The
history of communications and its implications for the Internet", which
in turn leads to Professor Odlyzko's online papers,
www.dtc.umn.edu/~odlyzko/; or Rita Kohrman's "Computer Anxiety in the
21st Century: When You Are Not In Kansas Any More"
(www.ala.org/acrl/sites/ala.org.acrl/files/content/conferences/pdf/kohrman.pdf).

To us fear of computing in the present may seem as strange as
self-evidently paranoid visions for the future. So let me ask, does all
this seem utterly bizarre to you? What do you think is responsible for
the fear? What are the fearful afraid of?

Comments?

College London; Professor (fractional), University of Western Sydney;
Editor, Interdisciplinary Science Reviews (www.isr-journal.org); Editor,