[Humanist] 25.566 events: live chat on higher education (in 1.5 hrs)

Humanist Discussion Group willard.mccarty at mccarty.org.uk
Fri Dec 16 11:30:07 CET 2011

                Submit to: humanist at lists.digitalhumanities.org

        Date: Fri, 16 Dec 2011 02:17:58 -0800 (PST)
        From: Ernesto Priego <ernestopriegor at yahoo.com>
        Subject: Guardian live chat: purpose of higher education

Hello all,

Apologies for using the seminar for this announcement. Not sure if everyone would get this today Friday 16 December in time but I'll give it a go.

I suggested today's question for the Guardian Higher Education Network end of the year "live chat" (the interface does not really work like a chat room but it seems the Guardian does not really or cannot do anything to change this). The question is "is this the end of knowledge for knowledge's sake?", which they also rephrased as "What is the purpose of higher education?"

I recommended various members of the UK digital humanities communities, and I am glad that they took my suggestions on board and they went for Willard, Simon Tanner and Geoffrey Rockwell to be part of the expert panel.

The conversation will take place 12-2pm GMT (it remains online afterwards so you can always check it later).

The link to go to is http://www.guardian.co.uk/higher-education-network/blog/2011/dec/13/purpose-of-university

Merry Christmas and Happy New Year 2012 to you all.

Best,

Dr Ernesto Priego
http://www.comicsgrid.com/
http://about.me/ernestopriego