[Humanist] 25.561 afraid?

Humanist Discussion Group willard.mccarty at mccarty.org.uk
Thu Dec 15 09:34:13 CET 2011

                Submit to: humanist at lists.digitalhumanities.org

        Date: Wed, 14 Dec 2011 10:02:45 +0000
        From: Willard McCarty <willard.mccarty at mccarty.org.uk>
        Subject: afraid?

I quote from page 3 of Michael J. Preston and Samuel S. Coleman, "Some
considerations concerning encoding and concording texts", Computers and
the Humanities 12 (1978): 3-12. The authors are discussing the difficult
question of how to assess whether what is done with computers in specific
instances is worth the candle.

> The difficulty, of course, is that significance in one area is not
> necessarily significance in another. A computationally simple project
> may be of importance in a particular discipline and should not be
> assigned cavalierly to the computational hell of the "trivial."
> Analogously, experimental research may yield computational results
> with minimal application in a traditional discipline, but show promise
> of further development and eventual broad utility. Multiple and
> perhaps even contradictory viewpoints ought to be characteristic of
> those who use computers in humanistic research because the technology
> is being used for so many different purposes; this attitude is
> particularly encouraged by the current subsiding of the old fears
> about computers intruding into the humanities. Indeed, a kind of
> backlash in favor of computer research in the humanities seems to
> present the greatest danger-that of complacency-especially for those
> of us at universities where there is a substantial group of computing
> humanists.

What jumps out at me is "the current subsiding of the old fears"
which clears a space for complacency, for the familiarity that blocks
what those fears are essentially about. When in the past I have
spoken about how interesting these fears are, I've tended to get a
reaction of dismissal from those old enough to be in a position to
remember them. But in fact, if you check the literature of the time,
fears are abundantly attested. Some of this literature also
poo-poos colleagues' fearfulness, e.g. proclaiming the bright new
scientific revolution happening without the help of the humanities,
as Stephen M. Parrish wrote in the 1960s. But, I ask, how
can any fundamental change happen without being importantly fearful? How
can we possibly understand that change without experiencing the
profound discomfort of the cognitive ground shifting under one's feet?

I'm collecting expressions of the fear of computing among humanists ca
1950-1990. I would be most grateful for any references. Unfortunately
Joanna Bourke's Fear: A Cultural History (2005) does not deal with
technophobia.

College London; Professor (fractional), University of Western Sydney;
Editor, Interdisciplinary Science Reviews (www.isr-journal.org); Editor,