[Humanist] 25.548 what's in a name?

Humanist Discussion Group willard.mccarty at mccarty.org.uk
Mon Dec 12 10:53:15 CET 2011

                Submit to: humanist at lists.digitalhumanities.org

        Date: Mon, 12 Dec 2011 09:52:09 +0000
        From: Willard McCarty <willard.mccarty at mccarty.org.uk>
        Subject: -ology and -ics

We have perhaps completed our adolescent phase of worrying over what we
call our academic field, but in case not, and for those to whom it
matters, I pass on a reference to an entertaining discussion of the
suffixes "-ology" and "ics" by Anatol Rapoport, "What is semantics?",
American Scientist 40.1 (1952): 123-35, found in JSTOR. For those
curious about the man, his Wikipedia entry is the place to go.
Unfortunately for us now, as we construct our professional identity, he
does not consider "-ies", but his article does point to the fact that
our current name is a collective noun, plural in form, singular in meaning.

College London; Professor (fractional), University of Western Sydney;
Editor, Interdisciplinary Science Reviews (www.isr-journal.org); Editor,