[Humanist] 25.538 we are not surfs!

Humanist Discussion Group willard.mccarty at mccarty.org.uk
Fri Dec 9 11:42:34 CET 2011

                Submit to: humanist at lists.digitalhumanities.org

        Date: Fri, 09 Dec 2011 10:38:57 +0000
        From: Willard McCarty <willard.mccarty at mccarty.org.uk>
        Subject: we are not surfs

Many here will want to read and, I hope, to comment on Matthew Reisz's
article "Surfdom", in the Times Higher Education for 8 December 2011, at
www.timeshighereducation.co.uk/story.asp?storycode=418343. Mr Reisz
asks, with the answer already given in the title,

> The internet has revolutionised humanities research. But has the
> development of ever-more sophisticated online resources freed up
> scholars to explore new ideas, or made them slaves to the digital machine?

College London; Professor (fractional), University of Western Sydney;
Editor, Interdisciplinary Science Reviews (www.isr-journal.org); Editor,