[Humanist] 25.537 what to do with tapes?

Humanist Discussion Group willard.mccarty at mccarty.org.uk
Fri Dec 9 11:41:27 CET 2011

                Submit to: humanist at lists.digitalhumanities.org

        Date: Thu, 8 Dec 2011 06:27:46 -0800 (PST)
        From: "Kevin Roddy" <kproddy at ucdavis.edu>
        Subject: UNIX 7-track computer tapes

Fellow Humanists,

As many of us begin to retire, we find--at least I do--boxes of 1200- and
2400-foot computer tapes, 'tar' format, from the 80's for which
machine-readers no longer exist on campus.  My own two dozen tapes,
chronicling the old days of *Davis Medieval Texts and Studies,* Project
Rhetor, UNIX nroff/troff, and *CHUM*, belong in that category.  The
University of California Digital Libraries personnel have promised to 'look
into the problem,' but I sense that tight budgets will not make it a
priority.  Contrarywise, the few professional services that I have
identified would charge impossibly exorbitant amounts.

Is there an academic institution out there wise enough to have saved a
reader in a back room; sentimentality and laziness would count as well.  If
so, I can promise a remuneration for any conversion to more appropriate
media, and of course complete access to anyone who might be interested in
the material.

With thanks,

Kevin Roddy
Lecturer Emeritus