[Humanist] 25.529 open fields

Humanist Discussion Group willard.mccarty at mccarty.org.uk
Tue Dec 6 07:57:11 CET 2011

                Submit to: humanist at lists.digitalhumanities.org

        Date: Tue, 06 Dec 2011 06:55:52 +0000
        From: Willard McCarty <willard.mccarty at mccarty.org.uk>
        Subject: tilling not fencing

With mind on something else, I picked up this morning Gillian Beer's
inspirational collection of essays, Open Fields: Science in Cultural
Encounter (Oxford, 1996), to discover the following quotation from
Carlyle, which I pass on with painful feelings of recognition:

> He [the philosopher Dugald Stewart] does not enter on the field to
> till it; he only encompasses it with fences, invites cultivators, and
> drives away intruders: often (fallen on evil days) he is reduced to
> long arguments with the passers-by, to prove that it *is* a field,
> that this so highly prized domain of his is, in truth, soil and
> substance, not clouds and shadows. (Beer, p. 2)

Comments?

College London; Professor (fractional), University of Western Sydney;
Editor, Interdisciplinary Science Reviews (www.isr-journal.org); Editor,