[Humanist] 24.917 in denial

Humanist Discussion Group willard.mccarty at mccarty.org.uk
Sat Apr 30 08:35:50 CEST 2011

                Submit to: humanist at lists.digitalhumanities.org

  [1]   From:    Manfred Thaller <manfred.thaller at uni-koeln.de>            (55)
        Subject: Re: [Humanist] 24.914 in denial

  [2]   From:    Ales Vaupotic <eurolit at zrc-sazu.si>                      (132)

  [3]   From:    Patrick Durusau <patrick at durusau.net>                     (33)

        Date: Fri, 29 Apr 2011 08:40:22 +0200
        From: Manfred Thaller <manfred.thaller at uni-koeln.de>

Dear Willard,

A humble question: May not be the fact that Humanists have to discuss,
whether the computer is "just a tool" be the at the heart of the still
strained relationship between the Humanities and Computer Science?

Virtually nobody from the hard sciences - leave alone computer science -
I meet in my muddled interdisciplinary waters, would understand, that
there can be a question that the computer <emph>is</emph> just a tool,
to be handled with confidence, as you are expected to learn how to wield
it, because that is as the world is nowadays.

Is the implicit need to discuss whether there might not be some magic
lurking in the background, a reflexion of the strained relationship many
Humanists still have to information technology? "You do not have to
learn how to use a computer, you just have to be able to talk to the
technicians."; "Should you really teach your students how to set up a
server at an arts faculty? Is that not part of the Computing Centre?"
More generally, in endless discussions about what should be taught in
interdisciplinary curricula, I always have the feeling, that many
participants are often more concerned - and certainly have stronger
opinions about - how to define very precisely, what a "Digital Humanist"
has <emph>not</emph> necessarily to know about computers, and still can
consider him- (or her-) self as a "Digital Humanist", than what
constitutes the technical skills which <emph>must</emph> be mastered.

As a result, there is almost invariably the assumption, that somewhere
between the Humanist and the machine a technician is required. On the
surface, because it is beneath the dignity of a Humanist to know such
technical trivia. In the nightmares, because there is the dark fear,
that a Humanist might not be able to master those trivia. (At the very
least, not without endangering his (or her) Humanist's soul.) So, just
as in some religions you need a priest between you and god, in many
brands of the Digital Humanities (and large parts of society, by the
way) you need a technician between you and THE MACHINE.

If there has to be a priest, must a god not be assumed?

Hm. Could it possibly be, that the somewhat disturbing situation that
the building of digital infrastructures for the Humanities seems to be
shaping up somewhere separate from the Humanities, is connected to this?
(At least within the funding institutions which I have occassionally the
honor to advise, the most serious concern about Digital Humanities
infrastructure projects is usually, that they are as admirable as
underused.)

If there has to be a priest, must a church not be created? (Well
separated from the believers, as proper clergy should be, of course.)

Seriously, how can anybody doubt, that the computer is a tool? Albeit
other tools - cars or nuclear reactors come to mind - have shown, that
being a tool does not necessarily force one to consider it
<emph>just</emph> a tool.

Kind regards,
Manfred

--
Prof. Dr. Manfred Thaller
Historisch-Kulturwissenschaftliche Informationsverarbeitung, Universität