[Humanist] 24.911 18C texts from ECCO: update

Humanist Discussion Group willard.mccarty at mccarty.org.uk
Fri Apr 29 07:46:49 CEST 2011

                Submit to: humanist at lists.digitalhumanities.org

        Date: Wed, 27 Apr 2011 19:36:37 +0100
        From: John Levin <john at technolalia.org>
        Subject: Update Re: [Humanist] 24.906 new on WWW: 18C texts from ECCO

On 26/04/2011 06:07, Humanist Discussion Group wrote:

>          Date: Mon, 25 Apr 2011 11:17:55 -0400
>          From: "Friedlander, Ari"<arifried at umich.edu>
>          Subject: Text Creation Partnership Makes 18th-Century Texts Freely Available to the Public

> Text Creation Partnership makes 18th century texts freely available to the public
>
> (Ann Arbor, MI-April 25, 2011) - The University of Michigan Library announced the opening to the public of 2,231 searchable keyed-text editions of books from Eighteenth Century Collections Online (ECCO). ECCO is an important research database that includes every significant English-language and foreign-language title printed in the United Kingdom during the 18th century, along with thousands of important works from the Americas. ECCO contains more than 32 million pages of text and over 205,000 individual volumes, all fully searchable. ECCO is published by Gale, part of Cengage Learning.

These texts are not (yet) freely available online.
This statement:
http://textcreate.wordpress.com/2011/04/27/what-the-public-release-of-ecco-tcp-texts-means-for-you-now-and-in-the-future/
states:
"For the moment, therefore, freely available to the public means we’ll
send the texts to anyone who asks, as soon as we can, and they’re free
to do what they like with them."
and gives an email address to apply to.

There are also some samples accessible through voyeurtools.org, via the
links on this page:
http://www.18thconnect.org/news/?p=49

I do find it odd that this project, which obviously has considerable
resources, can't put up a torrent or suchlike.

John

--
John Levin
http://www.anterotesis.com