[Humanist] 24.890 Web and mind

Humanist Discussion Group willard.mccarty at mccarty.org.uk
Mon Apr 18 07:18:36 CEST 2011

                Submit to: humanist at lists.digitalhumanities.org

        Date: Sun, 17 Apr 2011 11:18:59 +0100
        From: John Lavagnino <John.Lavagnino at kcl.ac.uk>
        Subject: Bloomsbury Project and the web

I was at the launch on Friday of the Bloomsbury Project from University
College London, a history and map of places and institutions in this
London district that became prominent in the nineteenth century:

http://www.ucl.ac.uk/bloomsbury-project/

Ian McEwan in figuratively breaking the bottle of champagne over the web
site's prow had some striking remarks about the mind and the web:

> it's almost certainly the case that there is no better technological parallel
> to the human mind than a web site---it's the nearest we're going to get,
> it shows how far we have to go---but still a web site of this kind, which
> parallels in itself, in its own links, all the extraordinary webs of linkages
> and institutions and minds of the entire nineteenth century...

John

--
Dr John Lavagnino
Department of Digital Humanities and Department of English