[Humanist] 24.887 effects of assumptions about grant funding

Humanist Discussion Group willard.mccarty at mccarty.org.uk
Sun Apr 17 08:26:09 CEST 2011

                Submit to: humanist at lists.digitalhumanities.org

  [1]   From:    Jascha Kessler <urim1 at verizon.net>                         (4)
        Subject: Re: [Humanist] 24.886 effects of assumptions about grant
                funding

  [2]   From:    Jascha Kessler <urim1 at verizon.net>                        (38)
                funding

        Date: Sat, 16 Apr 2011 11:54:19 -0700
        From: Jascha Kessler <urim1 at verizon.net>
        Subject: Re: [Humanist] 24.886 effects of assumptions about grant funding

Dear Willard,

We have an ancient adage in the language, one likely in most other cultures
too.  Viz., THEM 'AS HAS, GETS.

Jascha Kessler

        Date: Sat, 16 Apr 2011 12:12:15 -0700
        From: Jascha Kessler <urim1 at verizon.net>

Dear Willard,

Let me add to the comment just made.  Decades ago, a savvy woman, wife of a
Doctoral Candidate peer of mine in 1950-54, remarked re the Guggenheim
grants, Dont bother to apply.  Friends of friends get Guggies.  I found a
fine demonstration of that in the 70's when visiting a world-famous Social
Sciences brother-in-law [who was asleep after a hospital stay for
pancreatitis], and he a past president of the top international societies.

A pile of 100 finalists in his disciplines on the sideboard, which I
persuaded my sister-in-law to let me peruse, "but for a satisfaction of my
thought."  Every time I read one of the statements aloud and ridiculed the
ungrammatical and often incomprehensible statements re research goals, she
would say, *He'll get it; *or, *She'll get it.  *I counted up about 50
semi-literate, and even patently stupid finalists that evening.  She
shrugged: *They'll get it.  * What she meant was their supporters, and of
course my benevolent bro-in-law, who made the careers of hundreds now
prominent in the worlds of social and political "science," guaranteed
grants, and by implication the future of so many in universities,
institutes, think-tanks and all; so many who constitute our culture and
government policies.

Both of my relatives are decades gone from the world now. In any case, that
is what funding is for, for better or worse.  I have no objection to all
that: the world is what it is, and has always been.  Friends of friends, or
them 'as has....

I think it a lesson some learn very early on in life: I can still recall a
moment in a movie I must have seen in 1937-38? CAPTAINS COURAGEOUS, when,
early on, the lad, played by Freddy Bartholemew, up on deck with the First
Mate, is encouraged to spit his tuberculous phlegm out... but gets it right
back in his face, to the amusement of his advisor [who may have been, I dont
recall, and wont Google it] Spencer Tracy.  Another adage, No use spittin'
into the wind...

Jascha Kessler

--
Jascha Kessler