[Humanist] 24.882 effects of assumptions about grant funding?

Humanist Discussion Group willard.mccarty at mccarty.org.uk
Fri Apr 15 10:10:14 CEST 2011

                Submit to: humanist at lists.digitalhumanities.org

        Date: Thu, 14 Apr 2011 10:48:47 +0100
        From: Willard McCarty <willard.mccarty at mccarty.org.uk>
        Subject: effects of assumptions about grant funding

In his recent article, "Interdisciplinarity as critical inquiry:
Visualizing the art/bioscience interface", Andrew S. Yang (School of the
Art Institute of Chicago) comments in a footnote on some effects of
grant-funding:

> At a recent symposium I was asked to make comments about the
> art/science interaction and mentioned a few artists I thought made
> work that could contribute to rethinking of questions and methods in
> the sciences.  A member of the audience interjected, saying the
> particular artists I mentioned in fact had no influence on science
> whatsoever.  To the extent that I am a publishing scientist, I voiced
> my disagreement with his claim only to then be immediately challenged
> as to how much research funding I secure every year.  My answer of
> zero was met by a dismissive guffaw from the questioner - what right
> then did I have to speak on behalf of science?  That I was later to
> discover that my inquisitor was an artist added a sad irony to the
> very pointed point that key assumptions – in this case the status of
> funding – now fundamentally define our basic notions of disciplinary
> authenticity for the academic sciences.

Might the same happen to the digital humanities?

College London; Centre for Cultural Research, University of Western
Sydney; Editor, Interdisciplinary Science Reviews (www.isr-journal.org);
Editor, Humanist (www.digitalhumanities.org/humanist/); www.mccarty.org.uk/