[Humanist] 24.866 events: Duration (Before and) after Media

Humanist Discussion Group willard.mccarty at mccarty.org.uk
Fri Apr 8 07:54:54 CEST 2011

                Submit to: humanist at lists.digitalhumanities.org

        Date: Thu, 07 Apr 2011 17:14:06 +0100
        From: Willard McCarty <willard.mccarty at mccarty.org.uk>
        Subject: Duration (Before and) After Media

CFP: Duration (Before and) After Media
Distributed February 2011
www.davidcecchetto.net/duration.html

In the context of ubiquitous technology, the question of duration has
emerged as a powerful interdisciplinary tool for investigating the
interstices that both separate and sustain medial, technological,
cultural, and artistic activities. Indeed, as claims to a post-media
characterization of our digital landscape collide with deeply
disciplined artistic and intellectual practices, questions of the body,
the human, the flesh, the social, and even time become increasingly
difficult to pose (let alone answer). Thus, duration--a concept with
variegated genealogies in Bergson, Deleuze, Whitehead, and others, as
well as in most artistic disciplines--suggests a point of intervention
that avows the multiplicity of the problem: what happens to duration
after media? How might duration fold together pre- and post-digital
practices in ways that differ from disciplinary histories? How do
locative, mobile, and ubiquitous media practices (artistic or otherwise)
mobilize duration, and what might we learn from these?

We invite paper presentations on these and other questions relating to
duration for a small conference taking place from 10-12 August, 2011 at
OCAD University in Toronto, Canada. Theoretical interventions as well as
practical or case-study models will all be considered. Fewer than 30
presentations will be accepted for this gathering, so emphasis will be
placed on establishing conversations towards the development of an
innovative edited collection on the same topic.

Please email a 250 word abstract and 75 word bio to David Cecchetto at
dcecchetto at faculty.ocad.ca before Friday 22 April, 2011. Participants
will be notified of acceptance in early May.

-----

UPDATE: Keynote Speakers Announced
Updated 21 March, 2011

We are thrilled to confirm two exciting and distinguished keynote
speakers for our gathering, Dr. Charlie Gere (Lancaster University, UK)
and Dr. Christine Ross(McGill University, Canada).

Dr. Charlie Gere is reader in New Media Research in the Lancaster
Institute for Contemporary Arts, Lancaster University, United Kingdom.
He is the author ofDigital Culture (Reaktion Books, 2002), Art, Time and
Technology (Berg, 2006), and co-editor of White Heat Cold Technology
(MIT Press, 2009), as well as many papers on questions of technology,
media and art. In 2007 he co-curated Feedback, a major exhibition on art
responsive to instructions, input, or its environment, in Gijon,
Northern Spain.

Dr. Christine Ross is Professor and James McGill Chair in Contemporary
Art History in the Department of Art History and Communication Studies
at McGill University. She is the author of The Aesthetics of
Disengagement: Contemporary Art and Depression (University of Minnesota
Press, 2006) and co-editor of Precarious Visualities: New Perspectives
on Identification in Contemporary Art and Visual Culture (McGill-Queen's
University Press, 2008). Her current book project examines the temporal
turn in contemporary art.

These speakers are made possible through the generous contribution of
the Office of the President, OCAD University.

College London; Centre for Cultural Research, University of Western
Sydney; Editor, Interdisciplinary Science Reviews (www.isr-journal.org);
Editor, Humanist (www.digitalhumanities.org/humanist/); www.mccarty.org.uk/