[Humanist] 24.856 literature brought virtually to life

Humanist Discussion Group willard.mccarty at mccarty.org.uk
Wed Apr 6 09:11:58 CEST 2011

                Submit to: humanist at lists.digitalhumanities.org

        Date: Tue, 5 Apr 2011 09:34:43 +0100
        From: D.Allington <d.allington at open.ac.uk>
        Subject: RE: [Humanist] 24.849 literature brought virtually to life

>>> Somehow I find the idea of students building a MOO to be rather more
>>> exciting than the idea of them staging plays in Second Life. But
>>> perhaps I'm just showing my age...

>I used to use MOOs and MUDs a lot for language teaching in the mid 90s.
>We would put the students in a lab, and log them all into the same MOO,
>then have them do communication games that were basically designed for
>conversation practice, but in the text-based environment. They were
>performing real-time interactions, so it was a little bit like speaking
>practice, but they were also able to monitor their outgoing "speech" and
>check it before sending it. To some extent it provided writing practice
>too. And the students all had motivation to read and understand each
>other's text. It was very successful in those days, but I don't know how
>much students today would take to something so graphically impoverished.

>Cheers,
>Martin

Thanks very much for the info.

That's what I meant about my age. I'm just old enough to have grown up using a CLI - added to which, the first browser I used was Mosaic. So to me (and I guess, a lot of people on this list) graphics in computing have always seemed like an optional extra. I do wonder what today's undergrads would make of this sort of stuff.

All best

Daniel