[Humanist] 24.855 attracting students and colleagues

Humanist Discussion Group willard.mccarty at mccarty.org.uk
Wed Apr 6 09:10:59 CEST 2011

                Submit to: humanist at lists.digitalhumanities.org

  [1]   From:    Carlos Monroy <carlos.monroy at rice.edu>                   (101)
        Subject: Re: [Humanist] 24.845 attracting students

  [2]   From:    Willard McCarty <willard.mccarty at mccarty.org.uk>          (27)
        Subject: attracting computer scientists

        Date: Tue, 5 Apr 2011 17:04:41 -0500
        From: Carlos Monroy <carlos.monroy at rice.edu>

Sorry for the lengthy reply, but the discussions "literature brought
virtually to life" and "attracting students," truly inspired me,
and--from my own experience--I believe they are connected. The former
seems to explore new ways for presenting literature (e.g. using virtual
worlds). The latter, addresses the challenges in making the humanities
attractive to the students. As Willard commented in the original post,
"This is the problem of representing our field in such a way that a
potential student would want to devote him- or herself to it." Having
worked in STEM-related educational games (Science, Technology,
Engineering and Mathematics) for the last three years, and in digital
humanities/digital libraries for over ten years, lack of interest in
STEM fields/careers is also alarming (see NSF, National Academies, White
House and similar reports). I argue that the lack of interest, or better
put, lack of inspiration is not exclusive--although perhaps more
dramatic--in the humanities.

Last week, during a meeting in the preparation for a grant proposal
aimed at inspiring middle and high school students' interest in
Electrical Engineering (EE and Computer Science enrollments have dropped
in recent years), the discussion centered on the questions, what can we
do to inspire kids to this field? What should we do, to make them wonder
about the beauty of electrical engineering? And eventually say, "I
want to be an electrical engineer." After all, isn't that electronic
gadgets surround us, and we used them for almost everything? Attendants
to that meeting included EE professors, educators, museum experts, math
teachers, and computer scientists, since we are looking at an innovative
approach. I was deeply touched when one of the EE professors, an
emeritus one, former dean of engineering, and an authority in the field
said, "I remember that listening to an old radio my dad had, inspired
me to electrical engineering. Since that time I always wondered how is
it possible that sound generated miles away could be heard in this small
box in front of me."

My first thought was, aren't these the same questions about
"inspiration" in the humanities? So to answer Willard's question,
"So let me ask for our field: what would attract (have attracted)
you?" With a background in computer science, I was initially attracted
to digital humanities, by the beauty of the artifacts under study and
the challenges their analysis posed to me from the computing stand
point. I remember seeing digital copies of the original books of Don
Quixote and the attempt to recreate the original manuscript written by
Cervantes, followed by a large collection of artworks and an extensive
biography of Picasso, the poetry of John Donne, and the sense of mystery
associated to nautical archaeology and shipbuilding techniques since the
16th-century.

A couple of weeks ago I shared with the Humanist the story of the
partnership between whyville.net (a virtual world mostly for children
with more than 6 million users) and the Great Books Foundation to foster
reading (especially classic books). I shared it because an experiment we
conducted in embedded a science game in that virtual world, produced
interesting and positive results. In response to that post, I received
an email from a very respected scholar, the editor of a well-established
digital humanities project in the classics, who referring to our work in
science games stated, "I have been thinking about what could be done
in the same way in the Humanities." His statement confirmed some of my
thoughts about using games for dissemination of scholarly collections,
making them more attractive to a digital generation. Can we use games to
make Cervantes, Donne, Picasso, Nautical Archaeology, History, Art, the
Classics, Philosophy, Music, etc. more appealing and inspiring? I'm
not advocating that games are the only solution, or that my intention is
to replace the original artifacts and scholars, but rather, the urgent
necessity for inspiration coupled with our empirical results in using
games for fostering science careers, seem to support this claim.

In a similar way, our approach to EE demonstrates that this is a
multi-disciplinary effort. In a different domain, but sharing some
similarities, during a recent presentation by Mauro Ferrari (a
mechanical engineer and researcher at the Methodist Research Hospital
Institute in Houston), talking about their innovative nanotechnology
treatment to cancer, explained how their approach relies on NASA
technology to accurately target cancer cells, a procedure that requires
physicists and mathematicians. Wait a second; I always thought that
cancer treatment involved only medical doctors. Not quite anymore. Maybe
in the near future, the same could be said of literature, history, and
other humanities disciplines. At present, some on-going DH initiatives
already demonstrate similar degrees of innovation, and I look forward to
the day the same can be said more generally about DH.

In conclusion, I am convinced that this is a great time to be in this
field (DH), the challenges are huge, but so are the ingenuity and
innovation of so many scholars, researchers and practitioners. Referring
to DH in the English Departments, Matt Kirschenbaum states: "the
digital humanities today is about a scholarship (and a pedagogy) that is
publicly visible in ways to which we are generally unaccustomed, a
scholarship and pedagogy that are bound up with infrastructure in ways
that are deeper and more explicit than we are generally accustomed to, a
scholarship and pedagogy that are collaborative and depend on networks
of people and that live an active 24/7 life online. Isn't that
something you want in your English department?" To this I add, isn't
presenting these fields in innovative ways to students that consider
e-mail to be an outdated technology, worth the try? After all as
Negroponte (co-founder of the MIT Media Lab) eloquently says "Computing
is not about computers any more. It is about living."

-Carlos

******************************
Carlos Monroy, Ph.D.
Gaming Research and Development
Center for Technology in Teaching and Learning
Rice University
Houston, TX
voice: 713.348.5481
fax: 713.348.5699