[Humanist] 24.845 attracting students

Humanist Discussion Group willard.mccarty at mccarty.org.uk
Sun Apr 3 09:37:33 CEST 2011

                Submit to: humanist at lists.digitalhumanities.org

        Date: Sat, 2 Apr 2011 17:48:14 +0000
        From: <tamarapez at alumni.iu.edu>
        Subject: RE: [Humanist] 24.836 attracting students?

Hi Willard,

I was drawn to Humanities Computing by the name!  I  hoped that it offered a more expansive, less mechanistic view than computer science about the work of computing, the nature of software and the role that humans play in its creation.

I don't believe that this is central to the field today, but I remain hopeful that at least a corner or elbow will exist in the future that addresses these concerns.  I think that this is a fundamental contribution that humanities computing stands to make to computer science.

Tamara