[Humanist] 24.840 literature brought virtually to life

Humanist Discussion Group willard.mccarty at mccarty.org.uk
Sat Apr 2 09:29:04 CEST 2011

                Submit to: humanist at lists.digitalhumanities.org

        Date: Fri, 01 Apr 2011 17:11:34 -0500
        From: Peter Sands <sands at uwm.edu>
        Subject: Re: [Humanist] 24.835 literature brought virtually to life

Dear Daniel and all,

In the misty long-ago, I met weekly on a MOO for the "Tuesday Cafe," ran
my own MOO out of my office computer, and participated on LinguaMOO and
MediaMOO.

I also published an article or two on "MOOTopia," discussing my
text-based MOO and its use in my course on utopias and utopianism. I
taught very little programming, focusing instead on imaginal space,
digital presence/space, and the like.

My experience was always that students had some difficulty seeing the
MOO as a "space" because of its textuality, for the reasons Wendell
outlined in his reply. Imagining your way into the MOOspace requires
accepting its conventions and metaphors and at least temporarily
suspending your ordinary beliefs.

--

Peter Sands