[Humanist] 24.839 DHQ: automate before the day is out!

Humanist Discussion Group willard.mccarty at mccarty.org.uk
Fri Apr 1 17:59:53 CEST 2011

                Submit to: humanist at lists.digitalhumanities.org

  [1]   From:    Adrian Miles <adrian.miles at rmit.edu.au>                   (13)
        Subject: Re: [Humanist] 24.837 DHQ to automated peer-review

  [2]   From:    Laura Mandell <laura.mandell at gmail.com>                   (25)
        Subject: Article for DHQ.

        Date: Fri, 1 Apr 2011 19:48:07 +1100
        From: Adrian Miles <adrian.miles at rmit.edu.au>

hi all

surely this would be Peer Review with Advanced Technology Systems (PRATS)?

On 1 April 2011 18:01, Humanist Discussion Group <

> Digital Humanities Quarterly is pleased to announce a move to Peer Review
> with Advanced Technology (PRAT): a new computational peer review system
> based on text analysis.

an appropriate closing
Adrian Miles
School of Media and Communication
Program Director B.Comm Honours
vogmae.net.au/research/contact-me/

        Date: Fri, 1 Apr 2011 10:43:00 -0400
        From: Laura Mandell <laura.mandell at gmail.com>

Dear Humanist List:

I am crafting an article that will pass the new automated peer-review system
to be undertaken by DHQ.  I'm hoping that some of you would be willing to
co-author?  If so, please start adding sentences--I think I'm about two
authors, 20 terms, 10 citations, and 4000 words short at this point.
 Really, anything you can think of that meets the criteria: simple sentence
structure for ease of reading; use of cutting-edge jargon; footnotes to the
most cited lit.

Title: Getting articles accepted for publication is oh so hard to do.

This robust essay is about good interdisciplinarity.[1]  Failure is
important.[2]  But what is Text?[3]  Let us talk about overlapping
hierarchies.  Stand-off markup can be used.  #Alt-ac can help.  GIS is good
to curate corpora.  Interface is part of cyberinfrastructure.[4]

1. Willard McCarty, *Humanities Computing* (NY: Palgrave, 2005).
2 John Unsworth, “The Importance of Failure”; s.a. *A Companion to Digital
Humanities*, ed. Susan Schreibman, Ray Siemens, John Unsworth (Malden, MA:
Blackwell, 2004).
3 DeRose, S. J., Durand, D. G., Mylonas, E., and Renear A. H. (1990), 'What
is Text, Really?', J*ournal of Computing in Higher Education*, 1.2: 3-26.
4 ACLS, *Our Cultural Commonwealth* (2006).

--
Laura Mandell
Professor, English /