[Humanist] 24.836 attracting students?

Humanist Discussion Group willard.mccarty at mccarty.org.uk
Fri Apr 1 08:59:37 CEST 2011

                Submit to: humanist at lists.digitalhumanities.org

        Date: Fri, 01 Apr 2011 07:56:46 +0100
        From: Willard McCarty <willard.mccarty at mccarty.org.uk>
        Subject: attracting students

Reports from the field suggest to me that at least at some institutions
denoted as carrying out higher education the appeal to students cannot
be called anything other than crass. One such report, which I heard this
morning, was of undergraduates awarding prizes to their lecturers for
"best dressed", "sexiest" and so on, at a formal dance at which students
get to see their lecturers dance, drink etc, while they themselves do
the same. Ok, people having a bit of harmless fun? At the risk of being
perceived as a cane-pounding old fogey, I do worry about the loss of
dignity that such fun would seem to entail. What worries me is not
dignity as a stroke to the ego. I worry, rather, about dignity as an
attribute of a teacher that is conducive to learning.

How are students attracted for the right reasons to the right sort of thing?

The problem that makes this note appropriate to Humanist is related but
different. This is the problem of representing our field in such a way
that a potential student would want to devote him- or herself to it.
We're now reaching the point at which we do have to ask ourselves who is
going to be around to take over and do with the digital humanities what
we've been unable to do? I think each one of us needs to ask, if I were
thinking of devoting my life to some field or other, what would attract
me to the digital humanities?

So let me ask for our field: what would attract (have attracted) you?

College London; Centre for Cultural Research, University of Western
Sydney; Editor, Interdisciplinary Science Reviews (www.isr-journal.org);
Editor, Humanist (www.digitalhumanities.org/humanist/); www.mccarty.org.uk/