[Humanist] 24.366 Black boxes? Complexity theory?

Humanist Discussion Group willard.mccarty at mccarty.org.uk
Thu Sep 30 00:23:22 CEST 2010

                Submit to: humanist at lists.digitalhumanities.org

  [1]   From:    Geoffrey Rockwell <grockwel at ualberta.ca>                   (4)
        Subject: Black Boxes

  [2]   From:    William Rogers <william.w.rogers at kcl.ac.uk>                (4)
        Subject: intro to complexity theory?

        Date: Tue, 28 Sep 2010 18:20:48 -0600
        From: Geoffrey Rockwell <grockwel at ualberta.ca>

Dear all,

Could someone point me to a good social history of the idea of a "black box". I'm interested in how computing tools are opaque black boxes that may show interesting results but are hard to interpret. I am interested in comparing the problems of opaque technique to the problems with connoisseurship which it could be argued is also opaque.

Thanks in advance,

Geoffrey Rockwell