[Humanist] 24.362 iPad apps by us

Humanist Discussion Group willard.mccarty at mccarty.org.uk
Tue Sep 28 22:52:53 CEST 2010

                Submit to: humanist at lists.digitalhumanities.org

        Date: Mon, 27 Sep 2010 13:03:49 -0400
        From: Wendell Piez <wapiez at mulberrytech.com>
        Subject: Re: [Humanist] 24.347 iPad apps by us

Dear Patrick,

Last week you wrote:

> > The question might be posed: why should HE and OpenSource
> developers produce something for a company which in effect operates
> restricted practices?  IMHO, it would be unethical for HE people to
> take this route.
> > Dave Postles
>
>Err, because it is another way to make it available to users?
>
>Traditional print publishers restricted access to paying customers.
>
>Was publishing with them unethical? (Is is unethical now?)

It isn't that a proprietary platform is in itself unethical. As you
know very well, intellectual property regimes such as patent and
copyright, no matter how distorted they have become in recent
decades, are designed for the public interest: the cultivation of a
public domain, by allowing creators and innovators to profit from
their works *for a limited time* and thereby motivate their risks and
investments. That's why it's called a "patent": because I am enabled
to share it without fear that you will steal it. Then, after I have
profited and it has become more mature, we all get to put it into our
boxes to tinker with.

I think Desmond has put his finger on the essential issue: the
strategic question of whether you harness your cart to that
particular horse. Personally, I won't be developing for an iPad not
only for the bedrock practical reason (not having the time or much
inclination to master objective-C) but also for this entirely
hypothetical one: that I would be banking on either iPad becoming a
monopoly, or my application will be successful enough to command
interest and resources for me to afford porting it, when the time
came, to run on iPad's competitors and successors. (Timothy Hill has
also articulated this for us.)

Fundamentally, this is why the old guard -- who developed TEI and
then XML -- had it essentially right. Yes, we need to do the work of
development. But we need to develop the standards as well, as they
are the platform on which the long future will be built. (Patrick, I
know this is no mystery to you.)

Accordingly, I am eager to see what iPad applications will be doing
with data in openly specified formats, whether it be
HTML/CSS/Javascript, HTML5, a TEI profile, or your own entirely local
semantics exposed in XML or some other clean format. If you only tell
me what it is, I can generate it.

Cheers,
Wendell

Wendell Piez                            mailto:wapiez at mulberrytech.com