[Humanist] 24.359 programming for us

Humanist Discussion Group willard.mccarty at mccarty.org.uk
Fri Sep 24 23:51:47 CEST 2010

                Submit to: humanist at lists.digitalhumanities.org

  [1]   From:    Wendell Piez <wapiez at mulberrytech.com>                   (121)
        Subject: Re: [Humanist] Programming for us

  [2]   From:    Ryan Deschamps <ryan.deschamps at gmail.com>                 (12)

        Date: Fri, 24 Sep 2010 10:46:22 -0400
        From: Wendell Piez <wapiez at mulberrytech.com>

Dear Willard,

At 07:41 PM 9/22/2010, you wrote:
>The following questions may seem rather naive. I left programming so
>long ago that the languages I wrote in are likely to be barely
>recognizable by name. And the programming practices (those we were
>taught as canonical) are even less likely to be familiar.

I think your questions are far from naive.

>First, what is it like to work in an environment such as is provided
>by the iPad or similar device? How does one think about the task in
>hand as the task-performer conceives it? What does one take for
>granted? What are the limitations imposed by the system, and how
>does one get around them or use them to reshape the task?

I assume you mean by this working "on" the iPad, vs. designing or
programming *for* the iPad. (The iPad SDK, which for the foreseeable
future will be the only programming environment for iPad, runs on a
Mac, but not on an iPad.)

And as you know, as far as that goes, the iPad and similar devices
are offering some innovative new capabilities (as well as some
interesting limitations) in the physical affordances of their user
interfaces, which are now making exactly this field of play very
open. What we will see in months and years to come may be very
different from what we see now. It is like having a new organ. It is
having a new instrument.

>Second, how in general does one go about programming these days? Are
>there more or less standard ways of working? How much of what one
>can say on this topic would be of benefit if communicated to those
>who use our tools and do not write programs? Are there good books on
>"algorithmic thinking" (as a colleague of mine calls it)? How would
>you like to see the world educated as to what you do?

These are very hard questions to answer because I don't think "one"
programs these days. I spend long days with my head buried in code,
and yet to most computer programmers, I am not a programmer, since I
don't work writing "programs" that do anything like the programs they write.

Programming is a craft or a set of related skills and crafts, and as
such, it has very fuzzy, and shifting boundaries. Your question is
somewhat like asking, a century ago (with the advent of power tools),
"how does one go about woodworking these days". There are answers,
but there is also change; and there are big differences in what one
does depending on what one intends to do with what one does (if you
catch my drift).

Moreover, in my work as a consultant I am regularly faced with the
conundrum of how people communicate, learn to relate to one another
and understand what we are up to, in a world that has so far
outstripped the ability of any individual to understand it, in its
complexity. I can remember being alerted to this already 25 years
ago, when I took my car to a tire shop -- bemused by the fact that
there was a business just for tires, and then getting some slight
sense, in my dialogue with the tire man in the tire shop, just how
much there was to know about tires, even while I was impressed by his
evident interest in them. There was a whole world of knowledge there,
and this guy had made his home in it.

So personally I think that beyond communicating the specifics of any
one discipline, it is just as important to expose people to a
recognition that other disciplines are there, and that they are
complex (that's why they are disciplines), and not just arbitrarily
so. This means not just the tools and methodologies, but something of
the nature of the problems.

I mean, I am not against sharing books or web sites about algorithmic
thinking or logical problem solving or model building. Far from it.
But I also want people to know that there is a difference between
reading a book about algorithmic thinking (maybe solving a few
puzzles), and being steeped in the problems of real systems design,
building and maintenance for, oh, say, ten or twenty years. Whatever
the system. Programming -- especially these days -- isn't just about
algorithmic thinking. It means becoming familiar with -- going native
in -- an entire ecology of technical standards, platforms and
protocols, interchange formats, languages and libraries. (Within this
ecology, it happens the iPad is something of an island.) I do not
expect everyone to do this (which would betray the entire purpose).
But I would like them to get some sense of it without deciding, as so
often happens, that programmers are alien beings with inaccessible knowledge.

In my experience, the best way to come to grips with this is by a
familiar example of what not to be. Spend a few years learning about
something complex. Then talk to someone who imagines himself an
expert after some shallow or routine exposure to it. (Resolve not to
be this person.)

Given, instead, an attitude of respect for the knowledge, interests
and passions of others, one can then begin, maybe, to educate them in
dialogue about what one does. Don't expect them to move from their
center; instead try to meet them where they are. From that starting
point, the normal and natural need we feel to communicate can take over.

>Morgan Tamplin, a colleague at Trent University (Canada), once
>wisely formulated the key to understanding what our machines are for
>as learning to see one's object of study "as data" -- or, I like to
>say, "as if it were only data". The American anthropologist Pascal
>Boyer speaks of different modes of reasoning, one of them
>"scientific", the other "erudite" (as in the humanities), best if
>they cohabit in the same mind. Tamplin's "as data" and the humanist
>scholar's native mode likewise.

I didn't become a computer programmer because at the crucial moment
of choice (at age 18) I was shown that the humanistic erudition you
mention was an important option and counter to the
seeing-the-world-as-data choice I was also presented with. So I set
the computer aside for a few critical years. There are things I
regret about this -- I think I could have been an excellent
programmer. If I had only learned Unix, and C, and LISP, instead of
doing whatever it was that I did ... but ... loss and gain.

One thing the humanistic mode teaches, after all, is how much you
don't know. It may be that nothing human is alien to you -- certainly
that is an important attitude to cultivate. Yet that outlook is
completed and energized by the recognition that any of us is lucky if
we know more than the tiniest fragment of it.

All this is why I think the only strong approach to the problem you
indicate is in negative capability. By demonstrating a spirit of
generous inquiry, we encourage others to do the same. Only when they
are receptive, after all, is there any chance they will be able to
learn the subtleties of what we want to communicate to them.

And indeed, negative capability -- the assumption that there's more
to it than one yet knows, indeed than one can know -- is, to my mind,
the only way to approach programming these days.

Cheers,
Wendell

Wendell Piez                            mailto:wapiez at mulberrytech.com