[Humanist] 24.333 exploring online participation

Humanist Discussion Group willard.mccarty at mccarty.org.uk
Sun Sep 12 22:21:44 CEST 2010

                Submit to: humanist at lists.digitalhumanities.org

        Date: Fri, 10 Sep 2010 08:56:02 -0700 (PDT)
        From: Laval Hunsucker <amoinsde at yahoo.com>
        Subject: Re: [Humanist] 24.329 a calculated life? contemporary culture?

Willard asked, under the subject-line "contemporary
cultural life" :

> Who has written about such phenomena most
> perceptively, what have they written?

One thing that comes to mind, though I don't know how
useful ( or perceptive ) you will find it, is Henry Jenkins,
_Fans, bloggers, and gamers : exploring participatory culture_
(New York [etc.] : New York University Press, c2006). - vi,
279 p. - ISBN 978-0-8147-4284-6 hbk ; 978-0-8147-4285-3
pbk

There's also something relevant, I think, in Zizi Papacharissi's
edited volume _Journalism and citizenship : new agendas in
communication_ (London : Routledge, 2009). - xvii, 213 p.
- ISBN  978-0-415-80499-8 hbk ; 978-0-415-80498-1 pbk

And I don't know how good your Dutch is, but there appeared
a quite relevant report a couple of years back from our Sociaal
en Cultureel Planbureau here, by Jos de Haan and Anna
Adolfsen, under the title _De virtuele cultuurbezoeker :
publieke belangstelling voor cultuurwebsites_ (158 p. ; ISBN
978-90-377-0357-3). It has a long English-language summary
on p.144-148. The research was carried out in cooperation
with the University of Rotterdam. It's available at
http://www.scp.nl/dsresource?objectid=19697&type=org
They've given it the English title "The virtual culture buff :
Public interest in cultural websites".

- Laval Hunsucker
   Breukelen, Nederland