[Humanist] 24.329 a calculated life? contemporary culture?

Humanist Discussion Group willard.mccarty at mccarty.org.uk
Thu Sep 9 23:39:23 CEST 2010

                Submit to: humanist at lists.digitalhumanities.org

  [1]   From:    lachance at chass.utoronto.ca                                (15)
        Subject: Calculating and the Uncomputed

  [2]   From:    Willard McCarty <willard.mccarty at mccarty.org.uk>          (23)
        Subject: contemporary cultural life

        Date: Thu, 9 Sep 2010 08:43:52 -0400 (EDT)
        From: lachance at chass.utoronto.ca

Willard,

Food for thought and a tangent to the tainted app thread.

In this passage from Yevgeny Zamyatin's _We_ translated by Mirra Ginsburg
I am struck by the juxtaposition between the Rousseauesque wilderness
outside the ordered city.

<quote>
Through the glass the blunt snout of some beast stared dully, mistily at
me; yellow eyes, persistently repeating a single, incomprehensible
thought. For a long time we stared into each other's eyes — those
mine-wells from the surface world into another subterranean one. And a
question stirred within me: What if he, this yellow-eyed creature, in his
disorderly, filthy mound of leaves, in his uncomputed life, is happier
than we?
</quote>

Just what is an "uncomputed life" or for that matter one that is computed?