[Humanist] 24.327 designing an academic DH department

Humanist Discussion Group willard.mccarty at mccarty.org.uk
Thu Sep 9 23:37:15 CEST 2010

              Submit to: humanist at lists.digitalhumanities.org

Date: Thu, 09 Sep 2010 07:31:19 +1000
From: Willard McCarty <willard.mccarty at mccarty.org.uk>
Subject: commercial in addition to academic models

To answer Wendell's question, no, I wasn't trying to provoke our colleagues
by suggesting that at least aspects of the commercial model (if this can be
singular) might be worth considering in the construction of an academic
department of digital humanities. Admittedly I am now under the influence of
John Hartley's inspiring (and quite idealistic) book, The Uses of Digital
Literacy (University of Queensland Press, 2009), in which he argues the case
for the shift of our cultural genius from the intellectual mandarins to
ordinary people, and the role of the digital media in what we've shifted to.
(His title pointedly refers to Richard Hoggart's The Uses of Literacy, which
he discusses in detail.) Some people in cultural studies & cultural research
are considerably less optimistic than he about the masses of ordinary
people.

Those here may well be interested in what's happening at his institution,
the Queensland University of Technology, Brisbane: the work being done by
Axel Bruns and Jean Burgess (http://www.mappingonlinepublics.net/); the
'Urban Informatics' group (http://www.urbaninformatics.net/) led by Marcus
Foth; and Hartley's own group called 'Cultural Science', whose aim is to
bring evolutionary theory, complexity theory and media/cultural studies
together (http://cultural-science.org/).

The edges of our large, underpopulated field keep getting harder to see.