[Humanist] 24.319 tainted app

Humanist Discussion Group willard.mccarty at mccarty.org.uk
Wed Sep 8 03:04:27 CEST 2010

                Submit to: humanist at lists.digitalhumanities.org

        Date: Tue, 7 Sep 2010 23:41:13 +0100
        From: "John A. Walsh" <jawalsh at indiana.edu>
        Subject: Re: [Humanist] 24.316 tainted app

Willard,

You write, "Perhaps if more of us had the experience of the
artist/crafts-man and woman we'd simply be able to love a well
designed and crafted object. But when, under what conditions, must we
reject that love and spurn the object?"

You've probably read the stories, but if you Google "Foxconn," the
firm that actually builds iPhones, iPads, and the like, I think you
will find some news stories that report many conditions for which we
might reject the love and spurn the object. The Foxconn workers live
in giant factory/cities of something like 300,000 or more inhabitants,
living in dormitories, doing repetitive, unfulfilling work, working
extremely long hours, and earning wages of about £90 per month. Given
that the iPad has a starting price of £429.00, it's unlikely the
people who build the iPad could ever afford to own one. I assume most
Humanist participants would not own iPads if we had to pay four months
wages for one.

While the iPad may be well designed (I certainly think it is), in no
way is it "crafted"--well or poorly. It is, instead, manufactured.
And there is a great difference between craft and manufacturing.
Dropping a chip into place or inserting a screw on an assembly line
does not constitute craft. It is mindless, unfulfilling labor. The
processes by which these devices are made are plagued by classic
division of labor problems, and, being a Victorianist, I can't help
but quote Ruskin here:

"It is not, truly speaking, the labour that is divided; but the
men:—Divided into mere segments of men—broken into small fragments and
crumbs of life; so that all the little piece of intelligence that is
left in a man is not enough to make a pin, or a nail, but exhausts
itself in making the point of a pin or the head of a nail." (from "The
Nature of Gothic" in _The Stones of Venice_).

I do believe that the process by which these devices are produced
break men and women in small fragments and crumbs of life, and for me
that is a very convincing reason not to love and perhaps to spurn
these devices. I also think that whatever attraction people feel
towards these objects would more properly be classified as lust rather
than love.

And in the interest of full disclosure I must add that I own an iPad.
I use it a great deal, and I enjoy it a great deal. But while I own it
and use it and enjoy it, I also suspect it may be a tool of the devil,
for many reasons, only a few of which I touched on here.

John

On Sun, Sep 5, 2010 at 9:28 PM, Humanist Discussion Group