[Humanist] 24.318 events: authorship studies

Humanist Discussion Group willard.mccarty at mccarty.org.uk
Mon Sep 6 22:15:15 CEST 2010

                Submit to: humanist at lists.digitalhumanities.org

        Date: Tue, 07 Sep 2010 06:12:00 +1000
        From: Willard McCarty <willard.mccarty at mccarty.org.uk>
        Subject: LFAS meeting 12th Oct 2010

> -------- Original Message --------
> Subject: 	RE: LFAS meeting 12th Oct 2010
> Date: 	Mon, 6 Sep 2010 15:17:53 +0100
> From: 	Marcus Dahl <Marcus.Dahl at sas.ac.uk>

Dear All,

We hope you have had an enjoyable English Summer and that, as ‘Short
dayes, sharpe dayes, long nights come on apace’, we can soon welcome you
into the warm arms of the first LFAS meeting of the year, this October
12th .

We shall be welcoming back Joseph Rudman, Professor of Physics at the
Carnegie Mellon University, Pittsburgh, to deliver his second paper to
the Forum, entitled:

* “The Non-Traditional Case For the Authorship of THE FEDERALIST: A
Monument Built on Sand?”. *

Professor Rudman is the author of much influential work on the
foundations of authorship studies and humanities computing, including:
“The State of Authorship Attribution Studies: Some Problems and
Solutions,” (/Computers and the Humanities/ 1998); “Unediting,
De-Editing, and Editing in Non-Traditional Authorship Attribution
Studies: With an Emphasis on the Canon of Daniel Defoe," (Papers of the
Bibliographical Society of America 2005). He has also given a number of
important papers on the nature and application of modern authorship
studies at recent conferences, including: /“//Assumptions, statistical
tests, and non-traditional attribution studies – Part II”// (Digital
Humanities Conference 2008)//,// /“Non-Traditional Authorship
Attribution Studies in Eighteenth Century Literature: Stylistics,
Statistics, and the Computer” (/South/ /Central Society for Eighteenth
Century Studies Conference 2009/)., and “ The State of Non-Traditional
Authorship Attribution Studies 2010: Some problems and Solutions”
(/Digital Humanities Conference/ 2010).

The meeting will be held on *Tuesday October 12^th from 17.30-19.00* in
*Senate House*, room *G32. Drinks and questions will follow.*

We look forward to greeting you all on that evening,

All the best,

Marcus Dahl,
Sir Brian Vickers