[Humanist] 24.310 designing an academic DH department

Humanist Discussion Group willard.mccarty at mccarty.org.uk
Sat Sep 4 10:22:16 CEST 2010

                Submit to: humanist at lists.digitalhumanities.org

        Date: Fri, 03 Sep 2010 06:44:55 +1000
        From: Willard McCarty <willard.mccarty at mccarty.org.uk>
        Subject: activities of a DH department

One aspect of the question I posed about an academic DH department
hasn't had much attention: what would the ideal range of activities be?
Apart from Julianne's important point about communicating with the
public, what would we have this department doing?

Collaborative projects are one obvious activity. Another is teaching.
Another is research-training, through the PhD and otherwise. Would there
be any research professors (i.e. those who do nothing else but
research)? What else?

Some other questions.

If you were setting up such a department how would you go about hiring
the people to do the jobs? Would you design roles and then fill them, or
would you simply get the best people you could and see what happens?
There's alot to say for the latter, I would suppose.

How would you describe the mandate of this department? How would you
justify its existence given the fact that budgets are not unlimited?