[Humanist] 24.303 designing an academic DH department

Humanist Discussion Group willard.mccarty at mccarty.org.uk
Wed Sep 1 02:23:53 CEST 2010

                Submit to: humanist at lists.digitalhumanities.org

        Date: Wed, 01 Sep 2010 10:21:42 +1000
        From: Willard McCarty <willard.mccarty at mccarty.org.uk>
        Subject: designing a digital humanities department

My speculative question about what sort of digital humanities department
we might want elicited 4 responses. Allow me to summarize these here.

All four of the responses argued for or assumed that the department
would comprise both technical, academic-related staff and those with
established academic posts. Bob Amsler, in 24.283, put forth a cogent
argument for having both groups in the same department: "a department
involving the two groups in a sort of equality such that the computer
people could have their own discussions, plans, etc. for the advancement
of the computer's role in developing capabilities in the humanities and
the digital humanists could have their own agenda for the humanities
that involved using computer tools". Claire Chavez, in the same number,
simply assumed this would be the case, as I would, since it seems now
quite obviously the way to go. Both Amsler and Darren James Harkness, in
24.288, specified ratios of technical to non-technical staff. Julianne
Nyhan, in 24.288, gave a brief but strong argument for a chair whose
primary role would be to talk to the public outside the academy and to
those in other disciplines -- a St Paul to the techno-humanistically
unaware.

Julianne's imagined chair denotes a role I have had for years, so you
might expect me to agree with her enthusiastically. But my agreement is
based more on the experience of doing the job and the conviction that we
have a vital role to play in the future of the academy and our
societies, indeed a crucial one. We are *already* out in the public
sphere, already on the loose in the disciplines, so we had better be
able to explain what motivates us and why we deserve respect and our
salaries. In some countries the time has already come when justification
(a.k.a. a "business case") is required. For the others I would guess
that it's just around the corner.

Comments?