[Humanist] 24.430 events: archaeology; openness; archiving

Humanist Discussion Group willard.mccarty at mccarty.org.uk
Mon Oct 25 05:07:36 GMT 2010

                Submit to: humanist at lists.digitalhumanities.org

  [1]   From:    Willard McCarty <willard.mccarty at mccarty.org.uk>          (70)
        Subject: Session at CAA2011, Beijing: Digging with words: e-text and
                e-archaeology

  [2]   From:    Willard McCarty <willard.mccarty at mccarty.org.uk>          (10)
        Subject: New deadline for IS&T Archiving 2010

  [3]   From:    Willard McCarty <willard.mccarty at mccarty.org.uk>          (61)
        Subject: Announcing the first HASTAC Scholars forum of the year

        Date: Mon, 25 Oct 2010 05:58:31 +0100
        From: Willard McCarty <willard.mccarty at mccarty.org.uk>
        Subject: Session at CAA2011, Beijing: Digging with words: e-text and e-archaeology

> Subject: 	Session at CAA2100, Beijing: Digging with words: e-text and e-archaeology
> Date: 	Sun, 24 Oct 2010 18:36:20 +0100
> From: 	Stuart Dunn <stuart.dunn at kcl.ac.uk>
> To: 	ahessc at jiscmail.ac.uk <ahessc at jiscmail.ac.uk>

Submissions are invited for the session, Digging with words: e-text and
e-archaeology, at Computer Applications and Archaeology 2011, Beijing,
April 12th-16th 2011. For further details, including author guidelines
and submission information, please go to
http://www.caa2011.org/#home|default
 http://www.caa2011.org/#home%7Cdefault .

Deadline is *15th November 2011.*

Digging with words: e-text and e-archaeology

Abstract:

There are many complex ways in which archaeology is written about.
Formal publications in journals, books, site reports, so-called 'grey
literature', field notes, excavation daybooks, diaries and, latterly,
websites and blogs, all contain a collective written discourse about the
past, and how it is discovered. Added to this may be historical sources
about sites and artefacts: if excavating a site of the Classical period
in Greece for example, it is likely that the excavator will wish to
consult Classical authors such as Strabo or Thucydides. Furthermore,
evidence from text bearing objects such as inscriptions will heavily
influence the interpretation of any site at which it is found. Hitherto,
an excavator is likely to have accessed most secondary documentary
evidence via institutional libraries and catalogues, or via booksellers
or publishers. However, the relatively recent provision on a large scale
of such documentary evidence digitally --- the Perseus library at Tufts,
and online inscriptions corpora such as the Inscriptions of Roman
Cyrenaica and Inscriptions of Aphrodisias are good examples --- combined
with increasingly sophisticated techniques for interrogating that
content, and extracting information automatically, prompts us to rethink
the very nature of the evidence with which we can form interpretations
about the past. Once distinctions between text and artefact, history (or
philology) and archaeology were clear. Now however (for example) texts
can be parsed for formal units of information and databases of entities
built, which can then be used to underpin new knowledge or enhance
resource discovery. On the other hand, the bases of comparanda for
assessing archaeological data are becoming more widely available in
digital form, along with digital representations of those artefacts,
allowing deeper comparison and (textual) annotation. This prompts
questions as to how the digital medium can be used in their
interpretation. This session will seek to explore these distinctions by
bringing together archaeologists with interests in textual evidence,
textual scholars, historians and philologists. Themes will include, but
are not limited to:

* Theoretical considerations of the nature of textual and archaeological
evidence
* The use of standards and mark-up schemas in digitized archaeology texts
* Text mining and parsing (especially including geoparsing), and
automatic entity extraction
* Linking textual evidence with archaeological evidence using linked
data and semantic web technologies
* Provision for non-Latin texts in digital libraries for archaeology,
with an emphasis on Chinese and other Asian scripts particularly encouraged

--
Dr Stuart Dunn
Research Fellow

www.ahessc.ac.uk/stuart-dunn