[Humanist] 24.506 dissertations on French subjects

Humanist Discussion Group willard.mccarty at mccarty.org.uk
Sun Nov 21 09:07:05 CET 2010

                Submit to: humanist at lists.digitalhumanities.org

        Date: Sat, 20 Nov 2010 18:57:17 +1030
        From: suzi hall <xaouli at bigpond.com>
        Subject: Re: [Humanist] 24.498 PhD dissertations on French subjects?

On 18/11/2010, at 4:50 PM, Humanist Discussion Group wrote:

>        From: Willard McCarty <willard.mccarty at mccarty.org.uk>
>        Subject: PhD dissertations on French subjects?
>
> For local purposes I am looking for doctoral research projects that
> undertake or have undertaken the study of French literary,
> historical or
> cultural subjects with the use of digital tools and methods. Best
> would
> be brief descriptions of the research (in French or English).

Hi Willard,

My proposed doctoral research project entails the digitisation of
French texts by
Egyptian-French Jewish writer Edmond Jabès (1912-1991), positioning
him as
potentially prefiguring later forms of hypertext/digital fiction and
poetry due to the
non-linear nature of his work. It's provisionally titled 'Edmond
Jabès's "Exploded", "Infinite" Book: Prefiguring Cyberculture?',
and also deals with Jabès's highly contemporary concept of 'the book'
in relation to
both digital poetry and the changing forms of publishing today (incl.
the future of the book).

I'll be starting this project next year at Flinders University, South
Australia.

What are the 'local purposes' you mention?

Regards,

Suzi Hall