[Humanist] 24.481 impacts of humanities research?

Humanist Discussion Group willard.mccarty at mccarty.org.uk
Thu Nov 11 07:35:56 CET 2010

                Submit to: humanist at lists.digitalhumanities.org

        Date: Wed, 10 Nov 2010 00:26:28 -0500
        From: Susan Brown <sbrown at uoguelph.ca>
        Subject: Sustaining DH for Sustainable Culture

Dear Colleagues,

Sustaining Digital Scholarship for Sustainable Culture project is a
Knowledge Synthesis on the Digital Economy project funded by the
Canadian Social Sciences and Humanities Research Council.  The aim of
this short-term project is to identify strategies for maintaining the
vitality of humanities scholarship and the cultural sector by means of
electronic scholarly activity.

Drawing on previous work, including national and international research
and white papers, we are considering what existing and emergent
strategies, initiatives, funding structures, policies, and partnerships
are most suitable for sustaining digital scholarship and cultural
heritage materials. We are assessing the role that humanities
scholarship has played in fostering digital content creation in and
beyond Canada, the strengths and weaknesses of the various models used
to date, and the potential of current and emergent models for fostering
diversity of digital content.

It's a huge topic, of course, and we're on a very tight timeline: the
project was funded in late summer and we will be submitting a white
paper to SSHRC by Dec. 1 of this year.

I'm writing to ask for the assistance of the DH community. We have
largely completed our literature review, which has been necessarily
selective, and are working towards the white paper. We would welcome any
input on sources we have overlooked that are relevant to our topic. I
want to ask for help in one area in particular, though. We have found
very little literature on the spin-off impacts of humanities research
and its role in promoting the arts. Studies of the economic impacts for
the arts of humanities scholarship, traditional and digital, seem very
hard to come by. Stan Ruecker, a member of our team, raised early on the
project blog the problematic nature of measuring or defining value
solely in these terms, so we're keen to identify other ways that the
value of scholarship to the arts has been defined and articulated, and
there are some good articulations of this. However, since this program
arises from SSHRC's engagement with the current debate in Canada
regarding the knowledge economy, we are also interested to know of any
studies that take an economic perspective.

We have a public Zotero group for gathering and annotating relevant
resources at
http://www.zotero.org/groups/sustaining_scholarship_and_culture

We also have a project blog at
http://sustainableknowledgeproject.blogspot.com/ (though we are not very
accomplished bloggers, I'm sorry to say).

We would welcome contributions to either of these, to this list (if
appropriate), or by way of email. If you want to offer suggestions
off-list, please email me at sbrown at uoguelph.ca.

Thanks in advance for any help you can give, particularly on the link
between humanities/DH and the arts.

Susan Brown,
for the Sustaining Digital Scholarship for Sustainable Culture group
sbrown at uoguelph.ca