[Humanist] 24.471 events: authorship attribution; literacy

Humanist Discussion Group willard.mccarty at mccarty.org.uk
Sat Nov 6 08:45:18 CET 2010

                Submit to: humanist at lists.digitalhumanities.org

  [1]   From:    Willard McCarty <willard.mccarty at mccarty.org.uk>          (69)
        Subject: London Seminar for November

  [2]   From:    Willard McCarty <willard.mccarty at mccarty.org.uk>          (26)
        Subject: "Texts and Literacy in the Digital Age" Conference, The
                Hague, 16-17December 2010

        Date: Fri, 05 Nov 2010 09:42:01 +0000
        From: Willard McCarty <willard.mccarty at mccarty.org.uk>

London Seminar in Digital Text and Scholarship
11 November 2010, 17.30-19.30,
G27 Senate House, Ground Floor, Malet Street
tinyurl.com/LondonSeminar/

Professor Sir Brian Vickers (Institute of English Studies): 'Software
programs, authorship attribution, and the nature of language'

All welcome. Refreshments provided.
-----

Abstract. The goal of attribution studies is to identify, and
distinguish between, authors on the basis of their styles, in prose or
verse compositions. Style is a complex of many factors, subject to
changing historical definitions and involving current conceptions of
effective and expressive communication, as taught by rhetoric, and
clarity of argument, the province of logic. In individual genres, such
as tragedy, comedy, epic, satire, pastoral, style is affected by
changing concepts of the linguistic utterance appropriate to a
character's social status, age, and gender. Underlying all these
considerations is the nature of language itself, a rule-based system in
which lexicon, morphology, grammar, and syntax all interact and offer
speakers and writers an infinite range of choices, some of which will
reveal individuality.

The primary characteristic of natural languages is that any individual
utterance, like discourse as a whole, is made up of all classes of
words, woven together according to their role in creating meaningful
communication. All of the sentences making up this abstract use nouns,
verbs, modifiers (adjectives, adverbs), prepositions, conjunctions,
pronouns, and so forth. The metaphor of weaving is at least as old as
Plato, who used it in two dialogues: the Statesman (277d-278h), where he
speaks of the interweaving ( sumploke ) of letters into syllables; and
the Sophist (261e-262d), where on the phonological level of language he
uses the weaving metaphor to describe the workings of syntax.

The currently most popular methods of partially automated attribution
study are working with a very limited model of language, below the level
of meaning, hence unable to analyse the many variations of linguistic
choice that characterise individual utterances, and on the creation of
which writers devote so much care. This is not to suggest that we should
abandon quantitative analysis of writing styles; merely to point out
that current methods, despite their immensely fast and accurate text
processing and highly sophisticated statistical methodology, are
approximative at best, breaking up language into (some of) its
constituent elements, and thus missing out on fundamental aspects of
linguistic communication. Nor does my critique rule out the possibility
that future developments may vastly improve our performance.

After the pars destruens , as Renaissance writers would call it, my pars
construens will suggest a new alliance between authorship attribution
and a quantitative method of analysing language, namely corpus
linguistics, and will describe a method that, in its own modest way, has
already overcome some of the limitations in our current semi-automated
methods, with their fissiparous treatment of language.
-----

Bio. Sir Brian Vickers is Emeritus Professor of the Eidgenössische
Technische Hochschule Zürich, a Fellow of the British Academy, a Foreign
Honorary Member of the American Academy of Arts and Sciences, and a
Distinguished Senior Fellow of the School of Advanced Study, University
of London. He is Director of The Oxford Francis Bacon and General Editor
of The Complete Works of John Ford. He has written and edited about
forty books. Recently he has been focussing on authorship attributions
connected with the Shakespeare canon, and has published Shakespeare,
Co-Author. A Historical Study of Five Co-Authored Plays (Oxford, 2002);
'Counterfeiting' Shakespeare. Evidence, Authorship, and John Ford's
Funerall Elegie (Cambridge, 2002); and Shakespeare, A Lover's Complaint,
and John Davies of Hereford (Cambridge, 2007).