[Humanist] 24.69 new on WWW: Blake Archive update

Humanist Discussion Group willard.mccarty at mccarty.org.uk
Sat May 29 07:48:41 CEST 2010

                Submit to: humanist at lists.digitalhumanities.org

        Date: Fri, 28 May 2010 18:22:49 -0400 (EDT)
        From: William S Shaw <wsshaw at email.unc.edu>
        Subject: Update to the William Blake Archive

The William Blake Archive <www.blakearchive.org> is pleased to announce
the publication of electronic editions of Blake's _Visions of the
Daughters of Albion_ copies E and I, in the Huntington Library and Art
Gallery and Yale Center for British Art, respectively. They join copies a,
A, B, C, J (1793), F (c. 1794), G (1795), and O and P (c. 1818),
previously published in the Archive.

_Visions_, extant in seventeen complete copies, consists of eleven
relief-etched plates executed and first printed in 1793. Copies E and I
were produced in Blake's first printing session. Probably to lend variety
to his stock of copies on hand, Blake used three ink colors in this first
printing: yellow ochre (as in copy A), raw sienna (copies B, C, and E),
and green (copies I and J). Like all early copies of _Visions_, copies E
and I have the frontispiece printed on one side of a leaf, but all other
plates are printed on both sides of five leaves.

Like all the illuminated books in the Archive, the texts and images of
_Visions_ copies E and I are fully searchable and are supported by our
Inote and ImageSizer applications. With the Archive's Compare feature,
users can easily juxtapose multiple impressions of any plate across the
different copies of this or any of the other illuminated books. New
protocols for transcription, which produce improved accuracy and fuller
documentation in editors' notes, have been applied to all copies of
_Visions_ in the Archive.

With the publication of _Visions_ copies E and I, the Archive now contains
fully searchable and scalable electronic editions of 75 copies of Blake's
nineteen illuminated works in the context of full bibliographic
information about each work, careful diplomatic transcriptions of all
texts, detailed descriptions of all images, and extensive bibliographies.
In addition to illuminated books, the Archive contains many important
manuscripts and series of engravings, sketches, and water color drawings,
including illustrations to Thomas Gray's _Poems_, water color and engraved
illustrations to Dante's _Divine Comedy_, the large color printed drawings
of 1795 and c. 1805, the Linnell and Butts sets of the Book of Job water
colors and the sketchbook containing drawings for the engraved
illustrations to the Book of Job, the water color illustrations to Robert
Blair's _The Grave_, and all nine of Blake's water color series
illustrating the poetry of John Milton.

As always, the William Blake Archive is a free site, imposing no access
restrictions and charging no subscription fees. The site is made possible
by the University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill, the continuing support
of the Library of Congress, and the cooperation of the international array
of libraries and museums that have generously given us permission to
reproduce works from their collections in the Archive.

Morris Eaves, Robert N. Essick, and Joseph Viscomi, editors
Ashley Reed, project manager, William Shaw, technical editor
The William Blake Archive