[Humanist] 24.67 passionate numeracy

Humanist Discussion Group willard.mccarty at mccarty.org.uk
Fri May 28 08:18:01 CEST 2010

                Submit to: humanist at lists.digitalhumanities.org

        Date: Fri, 28 May 2010 07:14:28 +0100
        From: Willard McCarty <willard.mccarty at mccarty.org.uk>
        Subject: passionate numeracy

Many here will enjoy the following transcript of the words to a song
sung at one of the annual meetings of the Cowles Commission for Research
in Economics. The Cowles Commission was an early group of
econometricians named after the wealthy American investment analyst
Alfred Cowles, who after the crash in 1929 donated $12,000/year because
he was of the opinion that stock analysts did not know what they were
doing, and he wanted to do something about their ignorance. Herbert
Simon was a member of this Commission.

Anyhow, here's the song, sung to the Gilbert & Sullivan tune of "The
American Patrol":

> We must be rigorous, we must be rigorous
> We must fulfill our role.
> If we hesitate or equivocate
> We won't achieve our goal.
> We must investigate our system complicate
> To make our models whole.
> Econometrics brings about
> Statistical control!
>
> Our esoteric seminars
> Bring statisticians by the score,
> But try to find economists
> Who don't think algebra's a chore.
> Oh we must urge you most emphatically
> To become inclined mathematically,
> So that all we've developed
> May some day be applied!

In case you think I have made this up, see the Commission's "Economic
Theory and Measurement: A Twenty Year Research Report 1932-1952",
http://cowles.econ.yale.edu/P/reports/1932-52.htm, where after quoting
this song the author of the Report comments, "Its exact authorship is
surrounded by a certain degree of obscurity, which perhaps is just as
well." The actual singing of this at a meeting of the Commission is
claimed by Hunter Crowther-Heyck, in Herbert A. Simon: The Bounds of
Reason in Modern America (Baltimore: Johns Hopkins, 2005): 126.

I'd be happy to join in at DH2010 if anyone can furnish the music and
wishes to sing along. I won't do a solo performance!

But seriously, as we say, the rationalized depiction of the rationalism
which came in a torrent with computing -- what Thomas Nagel called in
his Tanner Lecture, "The Limits of Objectivity", delivered at Brasenose
College Oxford in 1979, "this bleached out physical conception of
objectivity" -- omits the very real passion with which Simon et al
pushed their view of computing and what they thought it was for. We
inherit their bleached out conception; we build computing systems that
manifest it. Isn't this a fatal mistake in which we must not persist if
we are to have a digital *humanities* worthy of the name?

Comments?