[Humanist] 24.39 e-book reading?

Humanist Discussion Group willard.mccarty at mccarty.org.uk
Wed May 19 07:03:10 CEST 2010

                Submit to: humanist at lists.digitalhumanities.org

        Date: Wed, 19 May 2010 06:02:23 +0100
        From: Willard McCarty <willard.mccarty at mccarty.org.uk>
        Subject: e-book readers?

Recently I have discovered what seems to me a perfect solution to the
piles of pdf'd student essays, chapters, articles, even the odd book
that I must somehow read and would rather not print out and cannot
efficiently get through at my desk: an e-book reader. Mine is a Sony
PRS-300, which can easily be held in the palm of one hand. I admit to
reading a novel on it when stuck in an airport unprepared and unwilling
to pay airport prices, but in general I stick to the codex for reading
that sort of prose -- a far better device on the whole. I find the
difficulties of access other than serial (a page at a time in the
predetermined sequence) frustrating on occasion, but for simply
ploughing through scholarly material my e-book reader is, I have
concluded, just the thing. I keep a spiral-bound notebook with it to
make notes.

In my brief time asking colleagues about e-book readers I have
discovered one addict of junky prose who likes his for the purpose (a
Kindle). What have others who have ventured into e-book reading found?