[Humanist] 23.794 inadequacies of markup

Humanist Discussion Group willard.mccarty at mccarty.org.uk
Tue May 4 07:58:23 CEST 2010

                Submit to: humanist at lists.digitalhumanities.org

  [1]   From:    Desmond Schmidt <desmond.schmidt at qut.edu.au>              (32)
        Subject: RE: [Humanist] 23.792 inadequacies of markup

  [2]   From:    Willard McCarty <willard.mccarty at mccarty.org.uk>          (40)
        Subject: markup

        Date: Mon, 3 May 2010 18:02:50 +1000
        From: Desmond Schmidt <desmond.schmidt at qut.edu.au>

  [2]   From:    Patrick Durusau <patrick at durusau.net>
        Subject: Re: [Humanist] 23.789 inadequacies of markup

  [3]   From:    maurizio lana <m.lana at lett.unipmn.it>                     (54)

>very good, software the tool
>allowing to make encoded judgments "dynamically
>and systematically manipulable"? that is: i get a
>list of the markup elements which are in a given
>text, and i choose which ones to see/visualize
>and which ones to ignore (e.g. i keep the
>non-interpretative ones and only some of the
>interpretative ones); or even which ones to
>delete (e.g. i delete all the interpretative
>ones).

Firstly, what kind of manipulations can one make with XSLT? - mathematical ones. What if the manipulations I want to make are subjective, interpretative, or if I want to replace one set of markup with another one, or mix two sets, say a base tag set describing text structure with an interpretative set by someone else?

Secondly, XSLT is a programming language. Because it's expressed in XML it's also a rather cumbersome one. My concern is why should a humanist have to write a stylesheet to manipulate his judgements. Well, maybe he/she should learn, but it's not happening in any significant numbers, and I don't see how it ever will. The digital humanists can do it - probably. But the ordinary humanists don't even want to get involved at that level, and why should they? Is it the role of 'very good, software' to force the user to write a program? In my view it's the goal of very good software to make the interface disappear, so that each task of the user is performed by the machine automatically with the least effort.

Once markup is embedded in a text it's not easy (I don't say impossible) to take it out and repurpose the text. The example I gave in response to Wendell's post demonstrates that. The text is, even when markup is embedded in it, different from the markup. So why can't they just be separate?
Desmond Schmidt
Information Security Institute
Faculty of Information Technology
Queensland University of Technology