[Humanist] 23.712 ACH mentoring

Humanist Discussion Group willard.mccarty at mccarty.org.uk
Sun Mar 21 16:27:06 CET 2010

                Submit to: humanist at lists.digitalhumanities.org

        Date: Thu, 18 Mar 2010 13:38:27 -0400
        From: Stéfan Sinclair <sgsinclair at gmail.com>
        Subject: ACH Mentoring

Dear colleagues,

The Association for Computers in the Humanities (ACH) has an ongoing
mentoring programme. We try to match new scholars and practitioners in
the digital humanities with mentors who can help provide advice and
guidance. The potential benefits will vary depending on the
individuals involved, but some of the objectives are as follows:

* have new-comers to digital humanities meet more established professionals

* allow broader networking between digital humanists

* provide professional guidance about jobs and careers

* provide additional discipline-specific advice

Mentoring can take place virtually (email, etc.) or in person (at the
Digital Humanities conference or elsewhere) and our annual activities
usually culminate in two events at the Digital Humanities Conference
(this year in London):

* a mentoring mixer with all participants present (a casual meeting at
a café or bar)

* a jobs slam during the ACH annual general meeting (employers and
prospective employees present themselves briefly)

Participation in the mentoring programme is free and often fun! If
you'd like to participate in the mentoring programme as a potential
mentor or mentee, please email me (sgs at the domain mcmaster.ca) and
provide the following information (you can also tweet me @sgsinclair):

* are you a potential mentor or mentee?
* what are your areas of expertise and experience
* are you planning on attending DH2010 in London

If you're a mentee, please feel free to describe in more detail what
you would most value from a potential mentor.

BTW, the ACH Jobs database is undergoing a transformation – in the
meantime, we'd encourage potential job seekers to consult the
following two excellent resources:

http://www.arts-humanities.net/jobs
http://www.hastac.org/forum/23

On behalf of the ACH Outreach Committee,
Stéfan Sinclair
http://ach.org/

--
[Please do not reply to this message as I use this address for
communication that is susceptible to spambots. My regular email

--

Dr. Stéfan Sinclair, Multimedia, McMaster University
Phone: 905.525.9140 x23930; Fax: 905.527.6793