[Humanist] 23.707 technological determinism

Humanist Discussion Group willard.mccarty at mccarty.org.uk
Tue Mar 16 07:46:44 CET 2010

                Submit to: humanist at lists.digitalhumanities.org

  [1]   From:    Timothy Webmoor <Timothy.Webmoor at sbs.ox.ac.uk>            (71)
        Subject: Re: [Humanist] 23.702 technological determinism?

  [2]   From:    <tamarapez at alumni.iu.edu>                                 (76)

        Date: Mon, 15 Mar 2010 10:40:27 +0000
        From: Timothy Webmoor <Timothy.Webmoor at sbs.ox.ac.uk>

Dear Willard,

there are several fields within Science and Technology Studies that considered the complex interplay between technology and society.  I pass along references to some of the key works within SCOT ('social construction of technology'), SST ('social shaping of technology'), and Actor-Network Theory (ANT). (There are also the influential and early studies by Lewis Mumford, especially The Myth of the Machine and the concept of the "megamachine," and Elizabeth Eisenstein's The Printing Press as an Agent of Change.)

MacKenzie, Donald  and Judy Wajcman (eds.) 1999. The Social Shaping of Technology. Buckingham: Open University Press.

Law, John (ed.) 1991. A Sociology of Monsters: essays on power, technology and domination. London: Routledge.
(esp. essays by Woolgar, Latour and Callon)

Bijker, Wiebe, and John Law (eds.) 1992. Shaping Technology/Building Society: studies in sociotechnical change. Cambrdige, MA: MIT Press.

Woolgar, Steve and Keith Grint 1997. The Machine at Work. Cambridge: Polity Press.

Within STS the discussion has largely moved on. There is still very much a currency, though, to the notion of 'social shaping'. I'm reminded of an event happening today at my institute subtitled "the role of technology in reshaping society." http://sbs-xnet.sbs.ox.ac.uk/complexity/complexity_ICTeCollective.asp

Best Regards,

Tim

-
Timothy Webmoor
Research Fellow in STS
Institute for Science, Innovation and Society
University of Oxford
tel: +44 (0) 1865 278819
mail: timothy.webmoor at sbs.ox.ac.uk<mailto:timothy.webmoor at sbs.ox.ac.uk>
web: users.ox.ac.uk/~mast2749 http://users.ox.ac.uk/~mast2749