[Humanist] 23.704 technological determinism

Humanist Discussion Group willard.mccarty at mccarty.org.uk
Mon Mar 15 07:00:34 CET 2010

                Submit to: humanist at lists.digitalhumanities.org

  [1]   From:    "Michael Truscello" <truscello at gmail.com>                 (19)
        Subject: technological determinism

  [2]   From:    Ryan Shaw <ryanshaw at ischool.berkeley.edu>                 (10)
        Subject: Re: [Humanist] 23.702 technological determinism?

  [3]   From:    "Holly C. Shulman" <hcs8n at virginia.edu>                   (79)

        Date: Sat, 13 Mar 2010 11:16:46 -0500
        From: "Michael Truscello" <truscello at gmail.com>

Willard,

The classic text on technological determinism in my view is Langdon Winner's Autonomous Technology. Also see the often reprinted article "Do artifacts have politics?"

Selected articles
  a.. "Do Artifacts Have Politics?" in Daedalus, Vol. 109, No. 1, Winter 1980. Reprinted in The Social Shaping of Technology, edited by Donald A. MacKenzie and Judy Wajcman (London: Open University Press, 1985; second edition 1999).
  a.. "Social Constructivism: Opening the Black Box and Finding It Empty," Science as Culture, Vol. 3, part 3, no. 16, pp. 427-452.
  a.. "How Technology Reweaves the Fabric of Society," The Chronicle of Higher Education, 39, Issue 48, August 4, 1993, pp. B1-B3.
Selected books
  a.. Autonomous Technology: Technics-out-of-Control as a Theme in Political Thought, M.I.T. Press, 1977. (ISBN 978-0262730495)
  a.. The Whale and the Reactor: A Search for Limits in an Age of High Technology, University of Chicago Press, 1986. (ISBN 978-0226902111)
  a.. Technology and Democracy, (editor), Dordrecht and Boston: Reidel/Kluwer, 1992.
  a.. Technology and Democracy: Technology in the Public Sphere, co-edited with Andrew Feenberg and Torben Hviid Nielsen, Oslo: Center for Technology and Culture, 1997.

Michael Truscello, Ph.D.
Assistant Professor
Department of Communication Studies
Wilfrid Laurier University